Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1980 P LMC Possible Error In Center Of Memorial Building

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
63 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  5:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Vivian410 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Everyone,

I have this 1980 P penny that I thought was kind of odd. There is something between the middle columns where the Lincoln statue is. Your thoughts on this would be fantastic!

Thank you in advance and of course let me know if you need a different picture

Valued Member
United States
352 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rookie2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't see doubling on reverse, but IGWT looks thick to me (I don't know it might be normal) compared to Liberty
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3071 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like a lamination issue but the mark on the steps leading up to the area in question may mean it took a hit. Could you take a good clear closeup pic of the area in question?
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vivian410 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope this helps! It doesn't seem to go into the coin like the scratch on the stairs does. Almost like it is sitting on top of the original coin.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37849 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a small lam to me as well.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3071 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, small Lam.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11977 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I think that the frog nailed it. By the way @vivian410, really nice job there posting the close-up pic to show the area of interest.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
995 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can we also take into account that it might be a struck through debris? looks like it also continues onto column #6 and bay #5... Just weighing out 2 options..IMO
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vivian410 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh cool! I have never found a lamination error (even if it is small).

@Spencer thanks, I was definitely trying to do my best with that!

@Greasy Fingers what do you think it would have been struck through? When I saw it I was thinking it could be one of the two. I wasn't sure.
Valued Member
United States
352 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rookie2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find. Didn't see it at first. Quite unique!

Cheers
Pillar of the Community
United States
995 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"struck through"normally with a small flake of copper (debris)
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2019  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vivian410 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@greasy fingers That is what I thought it looked like! A flake of copper.
Valued Member
United States
63 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2019  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vivian410 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh and on another note I didn't notice it at first but it appears to be rotated too!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05