Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Should I Grade These Coins? No Idea What I'm Looking At !

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
9 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  6:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 7_Costanza to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
inherited grampa's coin collection. Just getting around to looking through this stuff (After finding it in my basement). Most of his collecting was done in retirement (based on the years and sets he has). The Notes on the coins were wrote in 1989 by him..

A few individual coins seem like they may be worth grading?

I know all about what to grade and what not to grade for baseball cards, but I'm clueless on coins. Likely looking to hold onto the most valuable coin for my son, and sell the others..

Any thoughts if I should grade the below coins or leave them un-slabbed. Thanks in advance.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3019 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not worth Grading , but sure a nice inheritance!
Any legit gold dealer will pay 95 to 98 per cent of gold value.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15919 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  6:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would recommend showing us photos one coin at a time with close up photos of both sides. If you have a more valuable higher grade we can help you with that.
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 7_Costanza to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yeah, I'm thinking that they probably would not increase the value much being $5 and $2.50.

so many different things in the collection.. a lot of commemorative coins (president, olympics) and I'm guessing at least 2 uncirculated sets from every year from 1979-2002. not to mention so many odds and ends such as these penny books... it's a lot to research.. at least he didn't collect baseball cards during the 1979-2002 era, lol.. thanks for the knowledge.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37685 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Small pics like these don't tell us a lot, but I'm guessing there is not a great deal of value here in the small cents.

to the CCF!
Edited by Coinfrog
06/27/2019 09:00 am
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 7_Costanza to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2248 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
your first 5 coins are gold coins, the 2.50, and 5.00 $ is just the face value, the gold value is much , much higher, with that being said the first coin appears to be a ex jewelry piece as it looks like a broken solder joint on the top of the coin.. and some of these will be worth more than ,melt value,
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 7_Costanza to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
fair enough.. thank you all for the help. it's a bit overwhelming, lol
Pillar of the Community
United States
835 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  8:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thecoinguy1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice inheritance, I got none of my great grand fathers silver dollars he had in a cigar box. If you don't have to sell, hang onto them, they are priceless in that aspect.
"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."
- Luke 11:21
Pillar of the Community
United States
4341 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO I'd get the 2 $2.50 coins graded along with the $5 and sell (or keep) the gold dollar as is. The 1904 $2.5 looks MS62, the 1928 $2.50 MS64 (possible PL), a wild guess on the 1907 without better pics I'd put at AU-55
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq...ukyxurAHKuRg
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Valued Member
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, grade those suggested. As to the handwritten values he was right. A quick check on EBAY explains it. Are you bitten by the collector bug? These all make for a great beginning.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11919 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As to the handwritten values he was right.

I'm not wanting to sidetrack this thread too much, but I would like to comment on what a wonderful idea the OP's grandfather had to provide his heirs with some concept of the price-tag on the higher value pieces in his collection. We all have our own cryptic ways of notating this on our coins for our own knowledge, but rarely it seems do we see evidence of someone who has taken this step. I'm not planning to kick off soon, but I am going to implement something to follow his lead on my best coins.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
324 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2019  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rookie2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow that was a great idea writing values on them. Look for varieties. Ask questions if need to. Good luck!

Cheers
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18130 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2019  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Use all those as a starter for a coin collection of your own. Buy a book called the Red Book by Whitman Publishing. A great book for information on what you already have. Don't bother sending anything for grading until you know what you have.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
73203 Posts
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2019  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 7_Costanza to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like I said, I'm sort of set in my sportscard ways as far as collecting.. However, my son is absolutely loving the collection, lol.. So I think I'll likely just give most of this collection to him.

So can anyone offer any help with this one? it was in an envelope labeled " very old US coins (Unreadable) ".. I was able to figure out most of them, however I am stumped with this one. I'm guessing it is more "cool" than valuable.. Thanks in advance for your time!

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 4.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05