Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question On The W Mint Quarters

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  6:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bcuda to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just want to hear your opinions on this please.

PCGS has a label for the W mint quarters.

One is first week find (within the first week of the first one)
Other is Early find (within 45 days of first one)

Do you really think there is a difference in the market price for one or the other? Just wondering why it really matters at all.
Pillar of the Community
United States
562 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bill069 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's called marketing, to someone it will mean something!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12269 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There will be a market price difference between them, the question is how much
Pillar of the Community
United States
6060 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Make it and they will come pay.

Pet rocks and Beanie Babies prove this is true.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18285 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
GEE, WOW a W Minted coin.
And I don't even want one.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
421 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2019  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The current reality would be yes there is a price difference between the two. Long term? Also a yes, but the gap between the two should shorten. Also, the cost of both will drop eventually. With that, there is absolutely no way I'm paying the price for either. These will eventually show up in change, albeit circulated, and that suits me just fine. What I find down right hilarious are the suckers shelling out the equivalent value of two rolls (or more) for one. Remember the 1999 sets?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2181 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2019  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No difference to me.

KK
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12269 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2019  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
These will eventually show up in change, albeit circulated, and that suits me just fine.

Not necessarily. Someone could easily go their entire life and never get one of these in change. A percentage of these are going to be lost just like with all change, but the important thing is there's only 10 million of them total. That means there's 2 million of each one.

Last year the mint made 1.4 BILLION quarters, the year before 2.1, the year before 1.6, the year before 3, the year before 1.58, and the year before 1.455. So in the last 6 years they've made over 11 billion quarters and everything has been in the hundreds of millions and now there's 10 million W quarters floating around the 10s of billions of quarters out there. Really between loss and collectors removing them there's a lot less than 10 million Ws that will be circulating around.

When you really look at the odds, it's easy to see that you need to get lucky to come across one in change much less all 5
Pillar of the Community
United States
628 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2019  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think there is some premium to the labels still though grade is king. A MS 68 will be worth more than a MS66 first week label even if that MS68 gets graded a year from now in a regular old slab.

As far as finding the Ws goes, they made about 600 million 2009 Ps and Ds, about 300 million of each and how many of those do you find per box now? One or two. They will be hard to come by once they hit circuLation and get mixed in with the billions of others out there and much easier if you can get your hands on a BU box.
Pillar of the Community
United States
859 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2019  12:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add perfessor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The grade is what is important. If there is a difference in prices between the different worded slabs for the same grade then someone is falling for it. I hope I find at least 1 W quarter (I haven't yet) in change. I remember in 2009 when the nickel and dime mintages were very low (but still higher than 10 million each). I didn't find any of these in change for several years. Good luck everyone.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2181 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2019  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah I still haven't found any 2009s in circulation.

KK
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15643 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2019  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't seen any 2009 nickels or dimes in circulation either.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
628 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  05:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't find 2009s in regular pocket change usually but find a few per box roll hunting I find them. Maybe it's like 2-5 per 2000 coins or so sometimes better, sometimes worse something like that. I think finding 2009s are similar to finding wheat cents while roll hunting. I think finding Ws might be like finding an Indian Head penny while roll hunting once they are distributed and mixed in with all the others. It's just going to get harder and harder as time goes on.

As far as the labels, personally I don't think it matters to me. But some people that are collecting sets would want them all with the same labels and if there's less of certain labels, and more people want that label in an auction format, people may pay more to secure it in that label so their set is uniform.
Edited by Big-Kingdom
07/16/2019 05:42 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05