Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Fresh Off The Press 1957 Silver Certificates

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
149 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  8:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 1993Z to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Guys I just got home from a safety deposit box auction and I have a stack of 33 of these. There is not a single crease bent or anything for that matter on them. They seem like they went from the press to the safety deposit box.
Is there any value for bills like this? I see that bill in circulated condition sell for about $3-5 on the bay. I don't know anything about graded paper money but I would guess these would have a very high grade.
If nothing else I have some real nice Bill's for about face value

Edited by 1993Z
06/28/2019 9:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2373 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SDcoinguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
how does one attend a safety deposit auction!? sweet!
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1993Z to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was a first for me as well lol. I seen it on the local news last week and took off today so I could go. I signed up for email notifications but they said it happens about every 5-6 years.

The way it was explained to me was after 5 years of the bank not being able to locate the owner they have to turn the contents of the box to the state treasury department unclaimed property.
Then they inventory it and package it up in a safe/vault until it is too full and they auction it off. The money for the lot is kept until some clams it.
Edited by 1993Z
06/28/2019 10:06 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39476 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Uncertified, these common notes are only worth a few bucks apiece. Losing proposition to list them on eBay. Your LCS will likely not be interested.
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 06/28/2019  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1993Z to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Coinfrog what do certified ones go for? Or is it kinda like playing the graded modern coin game you ether do really good or really bad. I have only graded coins and know nothing about graded bills. If there is potential there I would try 1-2 of them.
Edited by 1993Z
06/29/2019 06:10 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
28497 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2019  05:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice score. First thing I would do is put them in Mylar holders,very carefully using very clean hands or gloves. Research the printing numbers,low runs or special signature.
Try to learn the grads of paper money,the higher the paper quality the better.Here is start http://oldcurrencyvalues.com/gradiNGCurrency/
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2019  06:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1993Z to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@John1 thank you for the link I will have a good look at them again today.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2213 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2019  06:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice SC's, but fairly common.

Graded 66PPQ notes can be bought for just under $20, 67PPQ's for under $30 and 68PPQ's for under $50.

Although I know what you meant and hear it all the time, it's SAFE deposit box, not SAFETY. I have a funny feeling this statement may add a little controversy to this thread.
Edited by SteveInTampa
06/29/2019 08:34 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39476 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2019  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There goes Steve, always trying to stir things up!

His value estimates are spot-on.
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2019  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1993Z to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the correction lol. I was really only after the coins in the lot anyways. Like I said I'm only in for face value or less.
I really have not even looked through them I just took the top one and took a picture and posted it. I assumed that they were conservative s/n but I really don't know yet.
Just curious what site shows the value and graded ones? It would be nice to know for future auctions.
Edited by 1993Z
06/29/2019 10:57 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2213 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2019  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just curious what site shows the value and graded ones? It would be nice to know for future auctions.

For your notes, I used my eBay app (Safari) and set the filters to show SOLD items graded by PCGS. Sometimes I use the Heritage website and search archived auctions there. Some members use a paid subscription search website specifically focused on paper money, called Track and Price or T&P which searches all the auction sites for you....kinda like a TRIVAGO for paper money.
Learn More...
United States
75094 Posts
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2019  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1993Z to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for the quick feedback on this. It's why I'm glad to be a member here
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2019  6:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are the serial numbers consecutive? If so, that might make them a little more saleable.
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2019  06:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1993Z to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just took a really quick look and there appears to be 2 different runs of consecutive s/n's. About 16 bills each run. I don't really have the time to go through them until tomorrow.
I will probably hang on to these since there is no significant value. They will make good gifts for the kids in the family later on down the road.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39476 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2019  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Consecutive numbering seldom adds much value in PM collecting.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.15 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05