Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Good Day. 1964 Set, No Mint Mark And As Described. SMS?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Canada
28 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  4:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Moon to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Please take a good look and comment. Thank you.

Canada
28 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please take a look. Thank you.
Learn More...
United States
73436 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Valued Member
United States
377 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice set you picked up.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2257 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is an after market holder, they were not made , or distributed by the US mint.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37967 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Standfast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Moon

The mint issued Special Mint Sets in 1965, '66 and '67. They looked like this:

Canada
28 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mysterious 1964 Special Mint Set. Unknown for decades after their production, the 1964 sets first came to light in a 1993 Stack's Bowers auction. Thanks to Eva Adams. Did they look like these too?
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Standfast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The mysterious 1964 Special Mint Set.

I was completely unaware of the '64 SMS. Your post prompted me to do some reading. Very interesting! Thanks
Valued Member
United States
142 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Standfast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Did they look like these too?

I have no first hand knowledge of their appearance, but I found this pic online.

So I guess so.
Canada
28 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. Is it a clear Whitman plastic case?
Valued Member
United States
375 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2019  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Check Onedollarbillnut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Onedollarbillnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1965 SMS came in a flat pack like the proof sets from 1955 to 1964.
So I would imagine that a 1964 SMS would have been packaged the same way.
Tim Hughes
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15499 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would have if it was actually packaged, they weren't.
Gary Schmidt
Coins007
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Deflin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like its not the 1964 SMS, I base my opinion on the poor strike of the steps of Jefferson nickel. I did research on this and they said first it should be a satin finish and very good strike appearance on the steps of Jefferson nickel.
Valued Member
United States
498 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From my knowledge and understanding of the 1964 SMS coins, they were all found in an estate sale of a mint Director that had passed away and were all bought from that estate sale, and likely all graded at this point. You will never find a 1964 SMS coin in circulation, You will never find a complete set in OGP or pieced together in aftermarket packaging to be cherry picked anymore because they all got bought and graded and sold by various auction houses and still sell from time to time to change hands in those auction houses.

Theory is they were test strikes for the 65.66.67 SMS coins to see how they would turn out. Description of the first Stacks and Bowers auction was: "The [half dollar] has a fully satiny obverse and a somewhat reflective surface," "The strike on all the coins is far sharper than is seen even on the Special Mint Sets. We suspect that these were struck as an experiment to determine the sort of finish the Mint would use from 1965 through 1967."
The Lincoln cent, Jefferson nickel, Roosevelt dime, and Washington quarter in that same set also exhibited the same surface characteristics as the 1964 SMS Kennedy half dollar.
The five coins were offered in a nondescript snap-tight plastic coin holder.
All sold a little here and there through the 1990s and 2000s so they don't compete with each other and bring down the sale prices.

Just about everywhere and on youtube the "coins you can find worth money!" story is nice and gets you thinking if you look you might hit the lotto, But coming across one coin somewhere that nobody knows about for cherry picking would be astronomical, and finding a whole set 1964 SMS to cherry pick would be about the same odds as the entire universe collapsing 5 seconds after you read this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7685 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't remember seeing anything about mint packaging for the 64 SMS.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"
"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145
"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
"An individual who vacillates when there is need of action will find themself beyond the hope of future success."

My Virtual 7070 https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/ty...album/142105
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05