Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1924 Standing Liberty Quarter

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Sweden
71 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  10:08 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add denkan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

How would you grade this SLQ?

First two pictures give more justice to the lustre (or the lack of it). Last two shows the details better.

/denkan
Pillar of the Community
United States
6967 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Au58fh
Pillar of the Community
United States
6967 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tremendously well struck coin by the way.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11613 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My only problem is with such a well struct SLQ where is the luster ,also what's with the slight graininess of this coin ?
I have to agree with NS ,AU-58 FH .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
7668 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU58FH
Pillar of the Community
United States
4225 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with AU-55 or -58.
And I think there's a distinct possibility that it's a Full Head.
What bothers me most is that the center of the shield is lacking details.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5407 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  11:24 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU58FH
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq...ukyxurAHKuRg
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
505 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  11:35 am  Show Profile   Check Redifin's eBay Listings Check Redifin's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Redifin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll throw out the first, MS-60

EDIT: the color is off, but I'm going to ignore that for now. Maybe it's a film of tarnish?
1. I'm no expert but I'll give my two cents.

2.My favorite coin so far: 1913 Buffalo nickel matte proof type II reverse
Edited by Redifin
07/11/2019 11:36 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41399 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly no less than AU-58. Tremendous coin!
Valued Member
Sweden
71 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add denkan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was also leaning torwards AU58FH since I don't know if it is wear or just not fully struck on the breast.

I have an 1920-S NGC MS63 that has alot more lustre than this but when compared next to eachother I think this one has less distracting marks, although there is one big hit close to the second lowest right stars on the reverse.

All photos above were taken without a lightsorce.
Here is a new photo taken close to a lamp to show lustre and chartweel.

Edit: The weight is 6.25g and it's non magnetic. Here's another photo of the reverse.

/denkan
Edited by denkan
07/12/2019 10:41 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
6967 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That looks much better. Can you show thw reverse with the same lighting? That side looked to jave less luster.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5087 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly looks like a high AU grade coin, but I'm a little suspicious about this one. Granular surfaces look wrong, especially in your second obverse photo. The head hair detail is abnormally strong; I don't think I've ever seen a Standing Liberty quarter with such defined hair lines on the back of the head. Obverse edge beading doesn't look quite right.

What does it weigh (should be very close to 6.25 grams) and is it non-magnetic? Those tests often identify Chinese fakes, not that I'm sure your coin isn't genuine.

For comparison here is my 1924 quarter which is has some hairline scratches but is otherwise in similar grade. My coin is relatively well-struck for an SLQ, but your coin looks much sharper in some areas.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
17440 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This should not have any granularity, especially in the fields, with such an unbelievable strike. I'm afraid I'd be a bit shy of this coin myself.

Otherwise, the eye appeal is magnificent. This one definitely deserves a third party grade attempt.
Valued Member
Sweden
71 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2019  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add denkan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll try get another picture of the reverse tomorrow and check the weight but I do think it is genuine after looking at it when it arrived. Also why would someone counterfiet such a common date?

I don't know if I get the English language right but NGC says:
"...Jay Cline observed that many examples seem to have a "very porous field," and this is likely just the effects of die erosion seen on all dates/mints of Type 2 Standing Liberty quarters"

Is granularity and porous the same thing? Could rusty dies explain the weak center of the shield?

If it graded AU58FH I almost breakeven sending this one in to NGC/PCGS so I probably put the grading fee and shipping on another coin instead :)

/denkan
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41399 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does that last obverse pic seem to show hairlines in the upper right field?
Valued Member
Sweden
71 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2019  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add denkan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coinfrog: There a mix between contactmarks and granularity. The coin has not been cleaned by whiping. If it has been dipped some time ago I can't tell. :)
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.07 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05