Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Might Be About To Learn A $185 Lesson

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2019  7:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I collect Morgan dollars. I like toned dollars (I know some don't.). I normally buy coins that have been graded 65 or above by PCGS or NGC. About 5 minutes ago I took a flyer and won an eBay auction for an 1878-S toned Morgan that was graded MS65+, but by ICG. I've read comments that say ICG is a generous grader. We shall see. I will likely crack it and send it out to PCGS. If I get a straight 65 I will be happy. Less than that....oh well I guess. Pictures in the auction listing are poor. Might be a red flag. eBayauction listing number is/was 283540913486 if you're so inclined.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40366 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2019  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Item is down.
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2019  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought one could still access it. Guess only I, as the buyer, can do that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
759 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2019  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimNWLincoln to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can still view the item (1878-S Toned Morgan). Click on the link provided by the poster - go to eBay - scroll up to Button "View original item" & click on it...
Valued Member
United States
243 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2019  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CherryPicker1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I'll agree that ICG is a very generous graded. High grade Lincoln Memorial Cents that should be worth hundreds are selling for prices that any graded cent would be in average condition. But that Morgan dollar does look pretty darn nice. The fields and her cheek look are very clean. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what PCGS gives it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12720 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2019  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@howell, can you please add pics of it when you get the coin in hand? Thx!
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40366 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2019  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Found it, thanks, should have tried harder. To be honest, given today's cost, resubmitting this to PCGS seems like a very low-return proposition.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2397 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2019  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My biggest concern is not the grade, but submitting to PCGS and having the coin come back AT. From those photos just a guess on grade and NT or AT. If I am buying a coin for toning, I stick to the holder that I want it in. Good luck on your crack-out.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40366 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2019  8:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the equivalent of a half-court shot. Good luck and keep us informed.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
826 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2019  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The photos are blurry, but the coin appears to be an 1878-S with a B2 reverse (short nock), unbroken 4th star, and unbroken "R" on TRUST. That would narrow it to 9 possible VAMs, three of which are in the Hot 50. Although the photos are blurry, the mm position might suggest VAM-16, VAM-65, or VAM-109, none of which are the Hot 50 VAMs. We can help attribute it when we see your photos.

ICG is generally good with authentication, but loose on grading. This looks like a decent coin. It would be interesting to see your photos when it arrives.

Regardless of grading, if you like toned Morgans and like the appearance of this coin, the slab won't matter. It's your collection, and your coin. If you like it, then it has value to you as a collector. Don't panic about this one. It may well turn out to be something you like very much.
Valued Member
United States
451 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have several IGC's and laid next to PCGS of the same grade mine look nearly identical. Under magnification, perhaps a touch less. Still within the grade though. So I think you'll be just fine on the cross grade.
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got the coin in mailbox today a day early. I'm pleased with the coin. I'm not an expert, but I'm guessing this is going to grade a 64 or even 63 at PCGS. Looks like a little too much "chatter" in the field in front of Liberty's face and on the cheek, though I've seen worse come back 65 from PCGS and NGC. Still intend to send out to PCGS. The toning does not look artificial to me, but once again, what do I know? Stay tuned. Probably be September....or later.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05