Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Who Can Help To Characterize This Cob 8R Piece?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
950 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  6:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

this is a recent pickup
weight 26.82 g
8 on obv clearly visible

no idea of mint, year
thanks for your input
Pillar of the Community
United States
953 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2019  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Uneducated guess: Bolivia, maybe Philip II but I really don't know.
They can be very difficult for me.
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
950 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2019  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks Albert !

below some better pictures, including the edge
the differential thickness of parts of the coin is quite amazing

Pillar of the Community
United States
953 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2019  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just don't see enough letters or numerals on the coin to be sure.
When I review the catalog for Spain, Portugal and the New World, one of the Philips from the 1600s Bolivia comes the closest.
There must be people out there that can recognize this piece much better than I can.
If you search online images of Cobs, something that points you in the right direction may pop up.
Edited by Albert
07/19/2019 12:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
950 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  04:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you search online images of Cobs, something that points you in the right direction may pop up.

thanks for the advice

what catalog are you referring to?
Pillar of the Community
United States
953 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spain, Portugal and the New World
Is the name of the catalog.
But researching online images of auction sales are often much better.
I do have trouble in finding a coin with that"8" on the right side of the shield in Bolivia. I wonder if it's something else? Or maybe I just have not found a suitable matching image yet. I'm turning my attention back to Spain and Mexico instead of Bolivia.
Edited by Albert
07/20/2019 11:15 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12418 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@1c5, consider asking the mods to move this thread to the world coin section of CCF so that the Spanish cob/real experts will see it. There are several who hang out over there, but may not bother looking here that often.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
950 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  5:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1c5d7n5m to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Albert, thanks for the reference; and your idea to browse in auctions is great

I just stumbled this afternoon upon a similar piece with the same 8 and the same coat of arms on the reverse (shape of the cross and the way the rosace corners touch the lower right castle)

https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=l...3310&lot=421

when the same type it would mean your initial assessment of Philip II and Bolivia was quite right !

@Spence, excellent suggestion - Tannks ! - I will ask
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05