Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Carson City Mint To Make 1870 Replica Half Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
68 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  8:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add HappyHippo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Anybody order one yet? I just ordered mine, $132. They are making 3000 total. Proceeds are going to museum, so it is a good cause.

*** Edited by Staff - Added Image ***
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12382 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not me, but interesting to read about it. @hh, please post it here when you have your copy in hand. Thx.

https://thecompletenevadan.com/2019...half-dollar/

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HappyHippo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are not available until after August 1. I hope the incused "copy" on the coin won t be too obnoxious.
Valued Member
United States
418 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I checked out the website and almost placed an order on the first until I saw that they are going to have the mandated "copy" stamped on them. While I agree that they should, at least put more thought into where it should be placed. Somewhere a bit more concealed would be nice. Then again, it is for a great cause.
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HappyHippo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, if they didn't put "copy" on it, it could be in with the $150k originals. :) Did you see the design?
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2019  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HappyHippo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, I do see what the design is. The infused "copy" is on the obverse. I think it could be placed better but at least it isn't on the design elements. I suppose they make it incused so it would be harder to just polish off.

I wonder if they are using the reducing machine or just a CNC machine to make the die? If I lived near there I would go to the party.
Edited by HappyHippo
07/17/2019 9:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2626 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  05:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder how close the design will be to the original? Since it is a new die, it would not be a restrike.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15598 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I suppose they make it incused so it would be harder to just polish off.

That is why the law requires it to be incuse and why it specifies a minimum size and depth, to make removal obvious.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
Canada
492 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just ordered mine as well, Can't wait.
The fact that the lady on the phone said that Press #1 will be making these coins makes it even better. The coins will contain just a bit over half an ounce of Nevada Silver as well she said.
Edited by GMS5
07/18/2019 2:38 pm
Learn More...
United States
74775 Posts
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carlp007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin will have a cool story to go with it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2718 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2019  11:08 am  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I need to see what this will actually look like before I consider purchasing. Is there at least a rendition somewhere showing the placement of COPY on the obverse?
My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof (PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Darth Morgan - "The Other Ike dollars" Showcase: https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/showcase/3354
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2019  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HappyHippo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think they will look like the attached. See this link for more info http://mint150.com/ It looks to be rather obstrusive. The replica silver plated ones you can buy on line are less obvious. But I don't want those.
Edited by HappyHippo
07/19/2019 8:53 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.18 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05