Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Opinion: Is This A Double Stike Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Australia
51 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  07:39 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Charl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

Found this 2006 Australian 50 Cent which I am unsure what kind of error is it. I found a few same year 50 cent with same error ... not sure if it's a common error.

- Is it double strike, die chip or other type of error?

- How uncommon/rare is this error?

Thanks
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39288 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure exactly what you're looking at, but there seems to be evidence of Machine Doubling.
Valued Member
Australia
51 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Charl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry if the picture is not clear.

There seems to be an extra line on the back of kangaroo, around 50 cents sign and back of emu

However I don't see any extra lines on other parts therefore I am unsure if it's an error.
Valued Member
Australia
51 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Charl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By the way, what is the difference between Machine Doubling and double strike?

Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
6059 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MD is when the die "bounces" once it strikes (loose die I beleive), but the bounce is a very small amount such that it leaves a flat and shelf-like doubled image (like smearing). MD is common and adds no value.

A double strike would be when the hammer die retracts fully, the just struck coin is not ejected, a new blank does not replace the coin in the die, and the hammer hits the once-struck coin again. These are true mint errors and are collectable.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Valued Member
Australia
51 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Charl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the explanation.

How can tell the difference between double strike and Machine Doubling.

I tried searching a few photos online and both looks fairly similar to me
Valued Member
Australia
251 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sfitzernator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Charl,

The MD variety is quite common the the Australian 50 cent pieces from 2000 onwards. It is clearly visible on the 2000 Cent of Fed coins, and that seems to be the first year it occurred with regular frequency. I collect the more extreme examples, myself, in the hope that one day they will be a sought after coin!

I am however, intrigued, and I am hoping for a more complete explanation. I have come across coins that have the the normal MD characteristics, as well as lumps and bumps, and what appears (to my uneducated eye) to be Die Polishing Lines, as well.

Earl42 and Coinfrog, would you be so kind as to look at this post?

http://goccf.com/t/348858

I would dearly love some comments in order to gain a better understanding
Pillar of the Community
Australia
527 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
not Machine Doubling, it is die deterioration double for sure on the emu legs and roos back also on the 50, that is why it is lumpy and not every part of the design only in the place where the die deteriorates the fasts. Unsure how common but I keep them have quite a few now ( from 2000 onward they are findable) .
Swap list : http://goccf.com/t/334449
Free coins for (post 500)competition
http://goccf.com/t/350686&whichpage=3
Valued Member
Australia
51 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  05:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Charl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the opinion.

If it's die deterioration, then it is considered as RAM error right? And it should have higher value compared to Machine Doubling error.

Question: Since it's a fairly common error 2000 onwards . is it worth keeping/collecting?

I have banked in the coins in the picture shown however unsure if I should keep it when I come across the same error in the future
Valued Member
Australia
251 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sfitzernator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At higher magnification, you can see where it looks like the metal "squeezes out" from the edges of the design, as opposed to a step, almost as if the relief edge of the die itself is not sharp enough, That is it has developed a champher through wear . I believe that the second coin is from the same die as the coin from my post, and I'm certainly not tossing mine back!. I can't understand how these coins would pass quality control requirements ( I am assuming design integrity would be a quality control requirement). I would keep the more extreme, higher grade examples that you find. They range from faint ghosting, to what looks like a line under the roo's top foot, design edge doubling, and all the way through to the "warts and all" example that you have displayed above. Then, of course, there's the obverse legend doubling, If you are lucky you will find both faces affected on the same coin. Two affected faces is very common on the 2001 Cent Of Feds.
Valued Member
Australia
51 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  05:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Charl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just found this 50 cents coin today which I "think" is real Machine Doubling ... unless I'm wrong

Question

- Does Machine Doubling shows on all part of a coin or only small area?

- I've been noodling for around 5-6 months and if this is a real Machine Doubling, why is there no value? Because this is the first one I found after 5-6 months... I found more die chip error compared to this

- Having a die to rotate is considered an error however die fell down causing Machine Doubling is not considered an error? This confuses me. Unless I misunderstood what a Machine Doubling is .

Still fairly new to coin collecting so please don't shoot me if I made stupid comments

Thanks everyone for your advice
Valued Member
Australia
251 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sfitzernator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Are there any articles out there on this one that anyone knows of?
Valued Member
Australia
251 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sfitzernator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect that the premium is minimal because this type of error is very common. I am sure that this is a 2001 Cent of Federation (Coat of Arms), without even seeing the reverse.

Sorry, I meant to say the 1912 coat of arms
Edited by sfitzernator
07/23/2019 10:47 am
Valued Member
Australia
251 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2019  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sfitzernator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A big thanks to Errers and Varieties for his threads on die deterioration and Machine Doubling

http://goccf.com/t/336470

http://goccf.com/t/325638

http://goccf.com/t/332421
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05