Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can Anyone Identify These Coins Please?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
22 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  09:30 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DenBrains to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Coin 1

Coin 2

Coin 3

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2507 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  11:42 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your first coin is almost certainly Byzantine, with the M on the reverse. I can't find an exact match.
Your second coin is almost certainly beyond positive ID.
Your third coin is almost certainly Indian, and I cannot ID those.
Hopefully someone else can be more helpful, I just wanted to give you some direction to search.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  5:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Big Silver nailed all three areas. The Byzantine has been cut nearly in half from a full coin.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
257 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Check PaddyB's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add PaddyB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect coin 2 is the remains of a button - not a coin at all.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5745 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Especially around the 7th-8th centuries, it was common practice for the Byzantines to overstrike and/or hack up their predecessors' coins to stretch the monetary supply further. This one is well beyond my ability to attribute, but I think you're looking at the time of Heraclius or later.

Second I agree is a button.

Third I suspect is an Ottoman Akce, maybe 1700s? If not, it is something similar; I don't think it's Indian.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Learn More...
Australia
13189 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the IDs posted so far.

This is a good example of why we prefer to have one coin per topic, rather thtan a bunch of coins in the same thread. We've got one ancient coin, one world coin, and one probable-exonumia. I'll move it to the Ancients subforum for now, in the hopes of getting a better ID on that Byzantine one.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  6:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add turtlefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not disagreeing with anyone here, please don't think I am. Looking at that second one, I don't see any evidence of a shank. I have pulled many a button out of the ground (and owned many others) and it is usually pretty easy to see where a shank was located. This is of course United States colonial period to the present. Very old buttons (say medieval period and older might be different). It seems to have a pattern on both sides also. I know that some buttons also did.
Learn More...
United States
22662 Posts
 Posted 07/18/2019  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first coin started out as a Byzantine Folles, but appears to have been clipped and restruck. This is seen on example of Arab-Byzantine coins of the 7th century.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8303 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2019  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can shed some light on the Byzantine, perhaps, before it was hacked up.

Heraclius / Heraclius Constantine. No RY, but would date between 610-641.
AE follis. Constantinople, Officina Delta (?). Sear 810 (big surprise..)

The first picture (reverse) needs to be rotated about 120 deg CCW.
ANNO to left large M; cross above, officina mark below; CON in exergue. Regnal year obliterated.

The second picture (obverse) needs to be rotated about 120 deg. CW.
Heraclius on left, in military dress, long-bearded and moustached, holding long cross in left hand / Heraclius Constantine on right, short-bearded, in chlamys, holding globus cruciger in left hand / both standing facing.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8303 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2019  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The small silver coin possibly an AR Sultans of Delhi jital. I think it is 180 deg rotated. Kushanshah is one of the experts on these. If the date is not off the flan it might be able to be AH-dated.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8303 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2019  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The middle, I think, is a snap button cover with the back half gone. If you rotate it about 45 deg CCW it looks like a Roman numeral VI, but if rotated CW it looks like an M monogram; the back edges show a slight concavity, as would be expected if it was a button cover, and traces of a chain, vines, or scrollwork motif that is probably the reverse side of the obverse stamping, which has been mostly obliterated by rust. Another option might be a monogrammed seal face, as used with sealing wax stamps, or even a small weight of some kind.

Pillar of the Community
United States
792 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  01:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The small silver coin is an Ottoman akche of Selim I bin Bayezid, 1512-1520, Novar mint (modern Novo Brdo in Kosovo), AH [9]18.
https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=158210
Edited by Kushanshah
07/20/2019 01:22 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
792 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  01:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I tend to think coin #1 is an official follis of Heraclius struck at Constantinople on half of an earlier, larger follis. This is a class that was copied in Syria during the early Arab period and it can sometimes be difficult to distinguish between crude official coins and better imitations. The style here is generally reasonable and I don't see any obvious differences to which I can point and say "aha!". Here is another example of the same type struck on a halved earlier coin: https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=211342
Edited by Kushanshah
07/20/2019 01:48 am
United Kingdom
22 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2019  07:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DenBrains to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your feedback, very helpful for a novice #128513;
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05