Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Atomic 1972 Jefferson Nickel Error.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
23 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2019  10:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Maskedoff to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Grease filled die. As much as I want it to be a brockage error, I can not tell without a microscope. Does look like an upside down, atomic bomb went off on the reverse.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2578 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  12:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO, that looks to be severe die deterioration on the reverse. Notice how the devices are melting toward the rim? Keep looking!

-CH27
CoinHunter27
Collector of US errors and variety coins of all kinds

"Time is the coin of life. Only you can determine how it will be spent"
-Carl Sandburg
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  12:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Maskedoff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your O Chunter. Still trying to find another frankendime wannabe lol.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7529 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  02:32 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Still trying to find another frankendime wannabe lol.

You mean like this....

Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  04:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Maskedoff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Negative....more like this one. It's a real dime piece. You got a 2 x 2 fo sho tho!
Pillar of the Community
United States
928 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This has to be one of the best examples of Die Deterioration I've ever seem. I like this coin!
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Pillar of the Community
United States
7529 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  02:19 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Capped die
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2019  02:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Maskedoff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where is Coop? That guy makes us all look like amateurs. I need his opinion, because he is the only one who took one of my finds and made an example out of it. 1941 woody Jefferson. My numismatic knowledge isn't fantastic. COOP HAS TOO MANY NOMISMATICS TO DEAL WITH. I'd take a break from all the BS too if I were in his shoes. What it comes down to with any coin......you gotta make it valuable. I've found some rare coins. Other numismatics told me that in the 30, 40, and 50 years of searching.....mine are invaluable. Why? Because they are unique, and yinz tell me otherwise. Afraid to accept someone finding something more rare than what you have. Did I mention it not graded? The PILLAR OF THE COOPMUNITY needs to support this fourm agin. I hope all is well with COOP. His knowledge is worth more than any monetary value.

United States
23 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2019  02:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Maskedoff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where is Coop? That guy makes us all look like amateurs. I need his opinion, because he is the only one who took one of my finds and made an example out of it. 1941 woody Jefferson. My numismatic knowledge isn't fantastic. COOP HAS TOO MANY NOMISMATICS TO DEAL WITH. I'd take a break from all the BS too if I were in his shoes. What it comes down to with any coin......you gotta make it valuable. Who is going to war over a 1982 D small date that weighs 3.1 grams? The guys that snuck em outta the reserve. Well I heard form Bob that he changed the planchets. Well Joe said that Bob was gonna do it, but he chickened out so I did it. Then Who grabbed the Lincolns? No one. They went into circulation. I've found some rare coins. Other numismatics told me that in the 30, 40, and 50 years of searching.....mine are invaluable. Why? Because there unique and yinz tell me it's this or that. Afraid to accept someone finding something more rare than what you have. Did I mention it not graded?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15753 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2019  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The OP coin is a nice example of severe die wear on the rev die.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39099 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2019  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first nickel as already mentioned is a VLDS (Very-Late-Die-State) struck coin.
The 1956 dime looks like a lamination peel issue.
The dime looks like it was missing a clad and during the strike, the capped die is thinning, thus distorting the strike.
The last nickel looks like a poor mix of the metals. (which doesn't happen as often on the copper/nickel planchets. But if it were a silver nickel then it would be a more common find.

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2019  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Maskedoff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly. Thanks Coop! Only opinion I'll accept.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05