Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Possible Silver Roman Coin Charriot

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  09:17 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dman95 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I need help identifying this 19mm coin.

Head on one side and a charriot on the other.
Thanks!

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Valued Member
United States
225 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Badger Mint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like you have an ancient plated counterfeit called a fouree. the obverse is Augustus Caesar who was emperor from 27BC to 14 AD the reverse is from a denarius issued by moneyer Q. Antonius Balbus is 83-82BC. Mixing designs wasn't unusual when making these. Still very collectable, I collect fourees to match other coins on my collection.
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dman95 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting! So it is an ancient fake. Is it pronounced 4ee? How much is it worth? Can you post a picture of the real one if you have it?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13886 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@dman, could you please post the weight of this piece?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
42 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dman95 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dont have the weight. I can weigh it on Monday at work.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13886 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok thanks. This isn't an area that I'm super-familiar with, but I guess I'm struggling to see why this is a fourree over a more modern fake. I'm sure that others will be able to provide much more knowledgeable opinions.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
42 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dman95 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, I will weigh it at the coin store today.
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dman95 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It weighs 2.75 grams.
Learn More...
United States
22662 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does appear to be a fouree. It looks contemporary to the period,but I'll leave t to more expert opinions to verify if it is r not.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4501 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm. I believe that the "Q ANTO BAB / PR" in exergue, with the A-N-T ligate, are associated with the coins of Q. Antonius Balbus. But those denarii have Jupiter obverses - clearly not what we see here.
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dman95 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for everyone's help. What does the enscription translate to?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4501 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What does the enscription translate to?

For "Q ANTO BAB" (it's actually probably BALB with the A and L ligate/attached), see:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/n...ius%20Balbus

For the "PR" see:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/n...w.asp?key=PR

The fact that the obverse is not a bust of Jupiter, but rather seems to be from a later issue - looks to me like a bare-headed Augustus (which would be decades later) - may be concerning. But perhaps some of the Roman collectors will chime in to provide their opinions. I am out of my depth with Roman Republican. Maybe the coin is fine.

Edit: I see that Badger Mint ID'ed both obverse and reverse earlier, above. I missed that previously.
Edited by Bob L
07/20/2019 6:54 pm
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dman95 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your help Bob L.
Pillar of the Community
United States
792 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2019  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An ancient fourrée would typically have a copper core. There is a possibility that this is a modern (mid-20th C) reproduction with a thin silver coating over a pot metal core. If it were a fourrée, one would expect the silver loss to be the result of corroding copper below. Here, the metal uderneath seems in good condition. Crisper photos, including images of the edge, would be useful.
Edited by Kushanshah
07/20/2019 9:40 pm
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dman95 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a couple more pictures.

United States
42 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dman95 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05