Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Phillip V Of Hispana Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  06:14 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jayyk31 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've searched google and I cannot find this exact coin. I've looked on NGC "world coins", etc... The image of this exact coin does not appear. I believe it's a "Reale" but I cannot figure it out. Also U wonder about authenticity as well.
The date is worn off by the looks of it.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12732 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  07:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jay, can you also please post an edge pic? Thx.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
2360 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The date is on the pillar side, the lowest of the three lines of script. Looks like 7 0 0 or 7 0 9, for a coin of early 1700s, consistent with Philip V.
The rendering of the lions and castles between the crosses does not look like that on an authentic coin, but others out here have a lot more experience with discerning authenticity of these types.
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jayyk31 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Spence... here is some pics of the rim/side profile. 3 different areas; 3 regular pics and 3 cropped pics. Thanks guys...

Valued Member
230 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nelson9225 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm no expert but it sure looks fake to me.
there are some features that just don't look right
hope I'm wrong but someone with way more knowledge
will soon chime in
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jayyk31 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@nelson9225, I hear that brotha! I am questioning it as well. It definately has wear but is it real wear?
Pillar of the Community
United States
567 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the famous tic-tac-toe coin.

By the way, straighten your lampshade, willya?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2360 Posts
 Posted 08/04/2019  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to be a copy of this gold 2 escudo coin minted in Lima, 1709.

https://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotv...901a9c22c9ad

(I've also posted some info on your Ottoman coin which might be helpful, over on that thread)
Edited by tdziemia
08/04/2019 1:05 pm
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2019  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jayyk31 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Tdz.... You are right on point man! Wow! I looked at some listings on that gold excuse and it's pretty much a perfect match! I guess this is either just a souvenir coin or was an old counterfeit and the gold wore off! And your reply on my other thread, yup it's a Para, definately not a Kurush! Thanks again,a
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2019  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jayyk31 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah so not only does it closely resemble the Lima Peru Minted 1709 2 Escudo I verified it being Pre 1900 90% Silver on my Sigma! I wonder if maybe it was a piece of old jewelry?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10158 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2019  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jlb1luv to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where did you acquire this? It's gorgeous!!
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  04:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jayyk31 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jlb1uv...

I got it local to me while purchasing some Morgans and Peace dollars. The guy said he had some "Pirate Ship" coins! Lol! I bought the 3 that he had not knowing what they were! 1 was a fake 1817 Saint Martin 1/6 cut 16 Stuivers this coin here in this post and another small 2 Para from Turkey (authentic). Only conclusion I've came to with this is its 90% silver and its looks almost identical to a gold Peruvian 2 escudos! Lol! Except its silver! I think it might just be a cast piece.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15771 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  05:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that this one is fake as well.

Evidence of casting bubbles in between the design details.
Most probably has a 'greasy' feel to it.
Edge join finning has been hammered flat.

I have lots of fake ancient silver coins with the same general appearance, as a result of their method of manufacture.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05