Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can Anyone Identify This Coin?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United Kingdom
8 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  06:26 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Emmaw73 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This necklace was my dads but I cant seem to identify what the coin is? any help would be appreciated!
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
580 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  06:53 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, the person who set the piece did not place that as an "E" so Byzantine is out. Then if this is a classic double cornucopia you have the Nabateans or Jews. You seem to have a larger circular shape in the center which makes me think this Jewish as perhaps a pomegranate. I know you can't weigh it but can you tell us the diameter? Very blurry photo as you know so I tried to enhance the photo below just to determine features. And I pulled out a lot of color. The coin I am talking about is just bronze and would not be that gold colored at all like yours. The link is to an ancient Maccabee coin for you to consider to know what I am talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pruta...Hyrcanus.jpg

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13957 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@emmaw, first welcome to CCF. Second, my initial thought was a prutah, but we really need pics of both sides that are in focus before we can help very much with identification.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United Kingdom
8 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  07:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Emmaw73 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It about 10mm width and 13mm in length , ive tried to take a better picture, hope this helps!

United Kingdom
8 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  07:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Emmaw73 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ive no idea why the picture just rotated!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13957 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  07:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably rotated if you used the camera on your phone and held the phone vertically. Try holding your phone horizontally (that is with both hands). Any chance of a pic of the back of this piece?
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United Kingdom
8 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Emmaw73 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13957 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  07:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those pics are better! I have taken the liberty of rotating, enlarging, and enhancing them here. I'm still thinking a prutah, although the lack of any detail on the reverse is disappointing. With that said, there are others here who are much more knowledgeable about Judaica and may be able to discern more.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
580 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  07:25 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well people used to use any Jewish bronze from before the time of Jesus as a widow's mite. So this is a Widow's mite necklace.

Example:
https://www.etsy.com/il-en/BarrDesi...558004658962
United Kingdom
8 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  07:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Emmaw73 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im so sorry , hopefully these are better!

United Kingdom
8 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Emmaw73 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ahh widows mite does ring a bell! thank you so much for the help :)
United Kingdom
8 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Emmaw73 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does anyone know how to clean? or should I leave it as it is?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13957 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
should I leave it as it is?

Since it was your dad's, I would leave it exactly the way it is. The numismatic value may be pretty low, but the emotional value may be higher. I see a jeweler's mark on the clasp so the setting (and the chain) may be gold.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

United Kingdom
8 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Emmaw73 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your so right, I'mágoing to leave it exactly as it is, thank you all so much for the help. x
Learn More...
United States
22671 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  09:18 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

My first impression was that it is a Widows Mite (Prutah) as well.
Valued Member
United States
459 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always fun to watch an identification develop at this forum.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05