Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

George Cook Collection - 1935 Dollar :(

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
16 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  4:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ebeckman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I don't post very much. I do enjoy looking on this forum from time to time to see what is happening with Canadian Coins.

The J.H. Campbell Collection was a special group of coins to me. Having come directly from the mintmaster, held in the Campbell family for a long time, until they sold the collection in 2002 from Australia.

Among the collection was a scarce double dollar set (1935 $1s), each graded PCGS SP67. While not as high grade, another special coin that came in a unique wallet holder, was a 1935 $1 that graded PCGS SP65. It toned the way it did as a result of the mint packaging it resided in for many years. At the time I auctioned the coin nearly 4 years ago, the coin looked like this:
https://ebeckman.tumblr.com/post/186451512353
https://ebeckman.tumblr.com/post/186451523253
https://ebeckman.tumblr.com/post/18...l-collection

Quite sadly, the coin now looks like this:
https://coins.ha.com/itm/canada/wor...ption-071515
The Heritage estimate for the upcoming auction is $250 - $350

Eric
:(
Canada
18 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sid Belzberg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I know exactly how you feel and then some!
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2019  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ebeckman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sid,

On a better note. This was my favorite toned coin in my collection. I always have appreciated nicely toned coins with good eye appeal! It was sold in 2015. The coin has your provenance. https://ebeckman.tumblr.com/post/18...3/1872h-sp65

Best Regards,
Eric
Canada
18 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sid Belzberg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Eric,
Thank you for posting that, it was one of my favorites also. One coin in the Cook collection that I use to own that is in the same condition as when I had it, totally unaltered,
is this 1875 .25 cent piece in specimen 68 (!) that was one of my personal favorites.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/canada/wor...ption-071515
Edited by Sid Belzberg
07/24/2019 07:31 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4606 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2019  01:08 am  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ ebeckman..I saw that 1872 SP half at a recent show if I'm not mistaken..it is now blast white...and the cook Collection, that's a whole different discussion which hurts my heart to even discuss.
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 18 year old collector from Mississauga, Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2233 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2019  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder how much the collection has lost in value after Cook purchased and cleaned?
I am sure his heirs will still do just fine... but wow... is it worth 25% of what he paid originally?
criminal...
Edited by Wade
07/29/2019 4:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4322 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2019  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 11 dollar probably will save the collections value, there are rumours of million and half to 2 million bid on this coin alone, the Heritage VP at Schomberg was expecting 3 to 5 million for this collection
Valued Member
United States
256 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2019  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JHax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of my sources estimates that Cook reduced the monetary value of his collection by at least a million dollars. But, of course, the more important aspect is the reduction in quality, which is incalculable. I'm afraid his legacy of forming such a great collection will forever be overshadowed by what a terrible steward he was.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4322 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2019  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
there is no doubt about the adage never clean a coin, one of the few occasions where some of the coins will reholder without the pedigree
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
2211 Posts
 Posted 08/02/2019  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So many hairlines, did he use a brillo pad, the toning was all scraped
off, poor coin.
RCNA Member
APNA Member
CNCC Member
Valued Member
Canada
103 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2019  12:50 am  Show Profile   Check ainsivalavie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ainsivalavie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe that what happen with the Cook collection should be used to get the general media (Newspapers, TV, Radio, etc.) to do a short topo on the subject.

Perhaps this would raise awareness among more people to don't clean the collector coins at the risk of losing a lot of money and more...

Note: Sorry about my English.
Edited by ainsivalavie
08/03/2019 12:52 am
Learn More...
Canada
8536 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2019  11:16 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you read the latest Trends commentary (Canadian Coin News) by Mike Findlay, he held no punches back... good for Mike to put what we all know, in print.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05