Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Album Preferences?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  02:14 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wyvern_64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am using Whitman folders for modern coin series - Jefferson nickels, Kennedy half dollars, etc. But I want something nicer for older series like Buffalo nickels or Franklin half dollars.

This Whitman album looks nice, but I'm not sure how it works and their photos aren't very helpful: https://www.whitman.com/store/Inven...3+0307091260

I like that it has labelled spots like a folder, and I like that you can see the coin back, but is it just a press fit like a folder? Seems like they would fall out a lot. What's the window it mentions? Anyone have experiences with these?

My other option is something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Currency-Col...-spons&psc=1
But it seems cheap and is a little less structured than what I want. I want more like a folder in that respect, but want something more secure and want to be able to see the backs.

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Pillar of the Community
United States
658 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  03:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chipjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes the coins just press in. There are two plastic strips one for the front and one for the back.
Slide out the strips press coin into the center replace strips.
Make sure your coins are close to the center so the strips won't touch
Them as this could leave them scratched. Hope this helps.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
28451 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  04:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think most collectors would recommend Dansco.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1070 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  07:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You might want to consider CAPS albums. They are more expensive than other albums and are big, so album size could be a factor, but, since the coins are in air-tites, it seems like they provide the best protection of any of the albums.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18258 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  08:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You might want to go to Google and type in coin albums. There are numerous different manufacturers of those. Whitman is one of the ones most available. Dansco brand is supposed to be better but that is usually said by Dansco owners. Whitman has plastic slides that can be easily removed due to the pages having slots for that. With Dansco you have to press on the slide to get it to move which could damage some coins. There are other brands of these but color of Albums varies also same with price.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
4109 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always went for Intercept Shield albums but I'm not sure they are made anymore.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
848 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suggest the CAPS albums also.
United States
18 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wyvern_64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like Dansco is perfect for what I want. Thanks for the input everyone!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1070 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great! Glad we could help and BTW

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
74970 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looks like Dansco is perfect for what I want.
They have served me well for nearly 35 years.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9938 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As you can see... everyone has their preferences. Personally I use a mix Whitman Classic, Dansco, and CAPS.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15625 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin album preferences will depend on the nature of your collection.

Some collect slabs - they don't need albums for these, good quality storage boxes for these are available, although 12 pocket slab album pages are also available.

My collection is very diverse, and so Mylar / cardboard flips are necessary to describe each coin. Consequently, 20 pocket non PVC album pages are essential for such a collection. I use recycled 4 ring trade catalog binders for the album pages. They cost me nothing.
4 ring binders are best, to support the album pages that may hold up to 20 heavy crown sized coins.

Learn More...
United States
74970 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Some collect slabs - they don't need albums for these, good quality storage boxes for these are available, although 12 pocket slab album pages are also available.
I have expanded into collecting Ike slabs as a secondary set to complement my Dansco set. For those I prefer the good, quality storage box.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9938 Posts
 Posted 07/24/2019  03:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good information here for sure. Following in jbuck's footsteps, I'm doing a slabbed collection of Ikes. Right now I have 8 or so and they're just loose (but stacked nicely) in my safe. I will definitely be getting a storage box as has been discussed in another thread.
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2019  07:44 am  Show Profile   Check einstem's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add einstem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use the "CAPS" albums for coins I want to protect. They are big and expensive, but they can't be beat in terms of both display and protection of the coins since each coin is in its own Airtite holder.

Next would be Dansco albums, which are MUCH less expensive and smaller then the CAPS albums, but a bit trickier to work with and don't protect the coins quite as well. I would say the "lighthouse" albums are probably a close second. And I would avoid "coin folders" completely.

For slabbed coins, I have been using (and loving) the Eagle Coin Albums for Slabs with the Index pages. Great system and much better for showing your coin then just sticking them in a box.

For my various other coins, I use cardboard 2x2s with mylar windows (and close with a flat cinch stapler) and put them in mylar sheets in a 3-ring binder. Easy to mark what they are and easy to swap in and out. I tried the self-stick 2x2s, but had some issues with them "popping open" and also had problems where the glue would hit the coin when placing the coin into them, and wasn't crazy about that and thought it could cause issues with the coins down the road (glue is a chemical!), so I went back to the good old stapled 2x2s (and bigger versions for bigger coins).

I have some past posts on each of these albums and my comments if you want to search the forums.

Enjoy!

Michael
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.16 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05