Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1920 Penny - London Dot Above Lower Scroll?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Australia
25 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  7:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mike2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi to all,

Is this 1920 Penny as rare and valuable as I think? Please leave you're opinion an thoughs to help me identify (;

Pillar of the Community
Australia
572 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah,extremely rare if genuine,only a handful of English Obv. DOLS have been ID.

Really need a better/clearer Pic. of the Dot,USB microscope is the best.
Edited by Basil
07/22/2019 7:39 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39388 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, these pics are of little value.

to the CCF!
Australia
25 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mike2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks,

I understand the quality of photos are poor. I was just excited of the possibility holding a such rarity (;

I will upload more images an try to capture the markings needed.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
697 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  04:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nealeffendi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mike . The line through the D (FD) is a good marker for the variety and I think yours has it (better photos would help).
And more than a handful have been identified (about 30) so still rarer than every other pre decimal after the 1930 English.
Australia
25 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2019  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mike2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input guys! here are few more photos with somewhat more detail

Australia
25 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2019  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mike2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
Australia
697 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2019  01:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nealeffendi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats, a genuine and problem free ./ English. Will you be getting it graded?
Australia
25 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2019  05:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mike2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey great news!! Nealeffendi thanks again for you're help and taking the time to view this rarity.

I haven't yet had a coin sent for grading I'm guessing PGCS would be the better option..

Any knowledge or opinion what my next step would be from here would be much appreciated or if anyone viewing this post may have any idea the near to value of this coin?

Thanks again to all
Valued Member
Australia
367 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2019  06:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats Mike!
If you don't mind me asking, how did you come across this rarity?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1378 Posts
Australia
25 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2019  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mike2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the interest an replies

I actually purchased it from one of the most common main stream selling sites which had listed 3 1920 Pennies cost being low to average as the seller didn't have knowledge of rarity in the listing.

I've searched for several yrs for this coin and was sure I wouldn't acquire one. I have 100s of 1920 Pennies an now feels worth the time and research. I'm not sure this 1920 verity will become more scarce an valuable or further specimens will arise.

Should I hand down next generation or get value from its rarity now? haha thanks again for reading

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1378 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2019  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lucky. Hard to say - I'm sure more of these will be found but I think it's still something of a niche thing - it's not listed in the main catalogues so the people who know about it and are willing to pay for one isn't as high.
Australia
25 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2019  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mike2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the feedback. I can not find very little past sales of this rare penny an not much information on the value or auction sales an pricing. Anyone help on their opinion of value and how an where should go about selling?

Thanks to all..
Australia
39 Posts
 Posted 07/30/2019  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add autocoupler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obviously the key thing to consider is grade, and not being an expert, I guess your coin would grade somewhere around almost fine using the Australian adjectival standard. Slabbed coin grades are popular these days, and using PCGS as an example, it may grade VF20 IMO.

For value, my records show several sold at auction since 2006. The following prices have been rounded to the nearest zero, and do include commission.

2006 - f or PCGS VF25 - VF30 - $3100
2014 - f or PCGS VF25 - VF30 - $2500
2015 - aVF or PCGS VF35 to XF40 - $2880. I think it was later graded AU50BN by PCGS.
2016 - gf or PCGS VF35 - $3800
2017 - f or PCGS VF25 - VF30 - $3600

As Mr T has already said, this coin is not mentioned in any of the Australian pricing catalogs, which is a shame and is one reason why it's not as well known as it should be.

The real shame of it all from my perspective is that people who hold rare varieties such as this may not know what they have, and often unwittingly sell them for peanuts.

There are many other Australian penny major varieties ignored by the catalogs as well, although, PCGS has shown the way in recent times and included the full list in their Set Registry. Typical that a foreign entity has yet again one upped the locals, nothing new for many things that go on in Oz.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1378 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2019  05:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with value somewhere in the low thousands. Not sure about the best avenue for sale - I've seen at least one on ebay (which I assume will let you keep the most out of all your options).
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05