Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Identify This Coin.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 786Next Topic  

Australia
4 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2019  01:21 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wild9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello, I have had this coin in my family for many years. I am confused with its origin. I know or think I know it to be an AES Grave. Am I correct? If so what year would it be and what do I do next to get it authenticated and valued?

Pillar of the Community
United States
998 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2019  02:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your appears to be a modern reproduction of a very rare coin from ancient Umbria (southern Italy). Compare below, noting the diadem across the forehead of Silenos and the naturalistic form of the sleeping dog:

https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=l...=1512&lot=72

https://webapps.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.u...p?oid=198752
A piece similar to yours on eBay: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthope...a-1549087606
Edited by Kushanshah
07/27/2019 03:13 am
Australia
4 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2019  03:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wild9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have no idea about how modern it is, but I know of other artifacts and coins that were found in the same field in Italy. How do you test for age to ensure it's not from its correct era?
Pillar of the Community
United States
998 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2019  03:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you still have questions, I suggest taking it to a museum or university. The test would be comparison with known specimens in terms of style, weight, alloy etc. Provenance is also important. Since you have some knowledge of its finding, I should add that Italy claims ownership of all antiquities found in that country since 1909.
Edited by Kushanshah
07/27/2019 03:36 am
Australia
4 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2019  04:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wild9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you.
Learn More...
United States
23147 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2019  08:41 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

Interesting coin and one that I've not seen before. I would also recommend that you have the coin looked at by an expert.
Australia
4 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2019  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wild9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there someone better to get in touch with on this forum who might have experience in researching such a coin?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4144 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2019  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Another thing you might consider is taking it to a jeweler or precious metals buyer who has an x-ray fluorescence (XRF) device. The presence of certain modern metals in the alloy would immediately confirm it as a replica, although their absence wouldn't necessarily authenticate it.

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3630 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2019  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there someone better to get in touch with on this forum who might have experience in researching such a coin?

No. This is the right place, and you have already gotten some feedback from ancient coin experts, pointing out that your coin differs in significant ways from authentic examples of this coin.

Likely some of the others here who are familiar with ancient Roman coins will chime in over the next few days.
Learn More...
United States
88915 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 786Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05