Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Conservation Help Please- Antoninianus

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
180 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  9:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pendrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi Guys-

I just got a Herennius Etruscus antonianus in a lot that needs some major conservation on the reverse. 20mm and 2.87 grams.

Nice F+ obverse but encrusted reverse-
Obverse: Q HER ETR MES DECIVS NOB C, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right. Reverse: MARTI PROPVGNATORI, Mars advancing right carrying spear and shield.

I have a much nicer one in my collection. I have also done a lot of mining/cleaning/conservation of late Roman coins in the past looking for rare gems. I am letting someone else do it now- LOL! Slim Pickens!

This is one of the harder Augustus for newbies to get so I will probably pass this one on. I cannot remember cleaning this type encrustation off an antoninianus. Obvious low-grade billon. Do I just leave it alone- or is there a way to dissolve it and maybe pick it?

Please let me know- And thanks-

Pillar of the Community
United States
729 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2019  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The underlying coin appears to be very fragile. I would leave it as-is. The encrustation may be all that is holding the coin together!

My philosophy on cleaning has long been that whoever cleaned (or partly-cleaned) the coin before it got to me was likely more experienced than I and probably stopped where he did for good reason.
Edited by Kushanshah
08/11/2019 10:22 pm
Learn More...
United States
22481 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  03:47 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, on this particular coin I would not attempt to remove the encrustation.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12466 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  06:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would follow @kushanshah's advice exactly. That crack looks very unstable.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
3003 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  08:45 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My opinion ......
Someone already did something pretty extreme to it
The coin looks like it got shot out of a cannon and dropped into a lake of acid
Try soaking it in DS for 20 years ...... or so
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1701 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is something about the portrait style that is ringing alarm bells for me. There is something about the eye that makes me think about this modern Bulgarian die, which is similar in style. I could be completely wrong. I haven't seen this style of eye on other coins though.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05