Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Recommendations On Books

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  1:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TheCitrusGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Greetings folks,
My apologies if this has been asked in the past.
I may have just overlooked it.
I saw the link for free E-books, which are great!

Let me give you an idea of where I am at and trying to get to, that might give you a better idea of how to answer this question of what books do you recommend?

I started with my Grandfather and Lincoln pennies. Now I have those, Roosevelt dimes, Jefferson nickels, State Quarters, National Park Quarters, Mint/Proof sets and individual coins.
I do coin roll hunting on a small scale and purchase partial sets of Mint/Proof that people have already chopped up, as well as full sets.

I am not interested in investing per se but would like to look at my collection and say, yes that is a NICE collection, worth a little something.

Does that make sense?
Anyway, I did a search for coin books on Alibris, (if you have never used them they are great) and came up with these BOOKS https://www.alibris.com/booksearch?...s.x=0&hs.y=0

If anything looks really good please let me know. If there are dogs on the list, I would love to know that too!

Thanks in advance!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1096 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The basic reference that nearly every collector starts with and will have is A Guide Book of United States Coins, commonly called the Red Book. It is published by Whitman and comes in several "flavors" with the most comprehensive (and largest) being MegaRed. The Red Book is updated every year. It includes prices that are generally not that up to date (hard to be up to date with a once a year publication) but are a good indication of relative rarity.
Edited by BadDog
08/12/2019 1:48 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16991 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you do roll hunting, then the Cherrypicker's Guide series is a must have and very reasonably priced.

The hinged pages lay flat while you use them so you have your hands free for the coins.

I recommend both volume one and two, although for roll searching, volume one is probably needed most.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2019  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheCitrusGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You both!
I actually have the 2020 version of the Guide Book of United States coins.
I have the specific coins I target tabbed. I am slightly anal.

I will look into the Cherrypicker's Guide.

So nothing on that list impressed you?
I have always loved the For Dummies books but wasn't sure if that would be good in this case?

Thanks again!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18443 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Try the Whitman Publishing web site. They have a massive pile of coin books.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
6082 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I think it all depends on what you are looking for. The For Dummies books I have read (other subjects) have always been even a bit fun to read, but I am not sure what you are after that would not be said in just one overall coin collecting book.

If you pick one series to go with, then you can find specialty books for them as well which go into detail of varieties to look for. Also don;t forget that online srouces are some of the best as they are up to date.

In fact I don't even use a Red Book anymore. Mintages are available online. Up to date pricing is availabel by seeing eBay sold auctions, Heritage Auctions sold items, and also looking at numismedia.com for pricing.

Also note varietyvista.com has most (if not all) of what the Cherry Pickers books have in them plus more.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05