Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bought Some More Platinum Since Price Remains Low

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
5047 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  12:49 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I don't understand why the spot price of platinum remains so low. For much of its commercial history platinum was valued higher than gold (around 8X as much back in the 1920s). Platinum has also until recently been much more costly than the similar noble metal palladium. As of today gold is at $1510/oz, palladium is $1413, and platinum languishes at $855.

Since it seems like a bargain I bought two 1-ounce Pt pieces: a Maple Leaf and a Swiss "shooting thaler." The Swiss piece is a very attractive proof. I notice that the Canadian coin appears heavily hairlined but that seems to be the way these are made. The hairlines are only in the fields and don't cross the devices. The Canada 1-ounce palladium coin I bought back in 2005 (for just $259!) has similar striations.

I don't see much chance that the values will go down from here so hopefully I made a good choice. Lovely pieces, anyway!

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15635 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  03:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There was a time when Pt had a higher price than any other precious noble metal.

I bought a 1 ounce reverse proof Pt Koala for US $375, in 1998. Still have it.
It is the only purely bullion coin in my collection.

The main reason I bought it, is that Pt was only precious coinage metal, that was not represented in my collection.
The Russian 3, 6 and 12 Roubles have always been too pricey for me to acquire.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3735 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  06:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The values of PM's are pushed wherever "they" want them to go.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16367 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any reason not to choose the U.S. version?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5047 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Any reason not to choose the U.S. version?

My local shop almost never has platinum but this time they had these two pieces. This shop has been good to local collectors and the price was competitive so I was happy to give them the business. I wanted to get over the $1500 CA sales tax exemption so I bought both.

Also, I already have a platinum eagle. Variety is good!
Valued Member
Canada
69 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CanadaPennies19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gorgeous Canadian ML!!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17186 Posts
 Posted 08/15/2019  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That Swiss piece is a great looking design.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15635 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  03:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is correct intuition to buy some Pt bullion right now, due to it's low price, relative to the gold price. Some commentators put the current high gold price down to World economic uncertainties. That will change for the better in a couple of years.

Since I bought my one ounce Pt bullion Koala in 1998, the value has compounded at an average of 4.4% per year over 21 years in Australian Dollar terms.
Inflation over the same 21 year period has averaged 3.5 %.
That is a profit of 0.9% in nett real terms per year, for the 21 year period.
In 1998, the gold and the Pt prices were nearly the same.

The stock market although far more volatile, has done much better that this.
My self managed superannuation fund, despite paying taxes along the way, has also far out performed the growth in the Pt bullion price.

Nevertheless, it is still prudent to invest about 5% of your total investment portfolio in (bullion numismatic items, artworks, etc.), whatever takes your fancy, and you understand investment principles of these items.

If you don't, then it's really just a lottery.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3735 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2019  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Four and a half percent is not shabby!
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.96 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05