Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1865 Seated Liberty 50c - Mpd?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2741 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  12:10 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I tried to find an example photo of an MPD for this date but came up empty after using multiple search engines.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2741 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These shots may prove more helpful to say yeh or neh.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1553 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Second set of photos..no help. How about one shot of only the complete date?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16997 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful end of the Civil war date example. But I'm just not seeing the MPD.
Pillar of the Community
United States
535 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with Moxking!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40501 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks pretty normal to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2741 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the complete date which does not look promising for the MPD unless someone feels otherwise...

However, in reviewing this obverse again I noticed this strange object below her left elbow. What is this called and is it anything to be excited about?

Pillar of the Community
United States
535 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2019  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is part of her drapery, the rest is missing due to die wear/die polishing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7022 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the little spot near the upper left loop of the 8 is only a die chip not part of an underlying date punch.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
4185 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got lots of collecting experience but I'll be darned if I know what an MPD is.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2741 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...what an MPD is.

This 1847 $ 5 gold piece truly displays a visual demo. of what an MPD (misplaced date) is. See the top of another '7' peeking up through the denticles:

https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...nticles/8232
Pillar of the Community
United States
7022 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I totally read this wrong and thought you were looking at a RPD not a MPD. Doh!

I do see a possible MPD in the base of liberty of an 8. Better photos would certainly help. I just can't get the provided photo large enough.

A single obverse image full frame in focus would help us to identify it better I think. I know the first 4 volumes of Bill Bugert's Half dollar books are available at NNP but the Philadelphia Vol. 5 is not yet. PCGS Coin Facts shows WB-103 the MPD coin just no photos up for it. So no help there, Heritage has a few WB-103 but they all show a pronounced recut 1 of the date on the bottom serif to the North, that rules out this coin. Heritage descriptions say there is an errant 8 in the denticles, again not this coin. Maybe a new variety if proven to be a MPD 8 in Liberty base? You could always contact Bill Bugert and send him photos provided you get good enough resolutions. This coin is quite interesting.

Another resource to check is Kevin Flynn's Misplaced date books Two dates are better than one. I'm a bit limited in my Seated half dollar references as it's a series I haven't got into (yet) I stopped at the quarters in seated stuff, half dollars and dollars are too far out of my price range, plus all the books I'd have to get LOL.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

Pillar of the Community
United States
7022 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also you may want to check through here http://www.seateddimevarieties.com/openregistry/
They also have half dollars, though I haven't been through all the various collections, and don't have time to do so.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
18449 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks kind of normal to me.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
2741 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A single obverse image full frame in focus...

Best attempt:

Pillar of the Community
United States
535 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2019  7:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not sure what you are seeing, it looks like some dings.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05