Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1923 S Peace Dollar Extra Ray Wrong Way? Ideas?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
214 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  2:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Fender79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

There appears to be an extra ray to right of eagle's head and above right wing. Its also going in the wrong direction. Is this standard for 1923?

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
Canada
575 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be VAM-1E1 Very Widely Spaced Double Clash Spike Eagle's Shoulder, or VAM-1I Die Break UNIT, Widely Spaced Double Spikes Eagle's Shoulder, or VAM-1K Double Clash Spike Eagle's Shoulder, or Double Clash Spikes Eagle's Shoulder, Die File Lines Obverse. Either way, it's a clash. Is it possible to show both sides of the coin and a detailed shot of the shoulder spike(s)?
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add demelone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see the ray above the wing, but not the one to the right of the eagle's head. We need a close up of both areas to be able to see what it really is.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die clash seems very likely. Close ups of those two areas would be helpful.

I'm leaning toward the 1E1.
Pillar of the Community
United States
674 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chipjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also looks like a arrow off the first A in America
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fender79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fender79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Since I'm at it do you guys think this is a die break in the bottom rays running horizontal to right of the branch?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40792 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2019  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15986 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was thinking either a die gouge or a die clash, it lines up nicely as a clash from the back of the neck.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fender79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the feedback fellas. Any idea if it would add significant value or what it might be worth?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05