Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1826 Coin - Capped Bust Obverse - Draped Bust Reverse

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1432 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2019  11:02 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add kena to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi folks,

I saw this posted on a UK Coin Group on Facebook.

Looks like a fake coin since the reverse should be different for what is shown on the obverse.

I asked the person for the weight, they said 13.5 grams.

Is this sort of fake common? Any info about it that I can provide back above me showing that a legit one should look like?

Thanks,
Ken
CCF member Member Since: 07/27/2008
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40501 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2019  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a first for me! Perhaps some pics were mixed up?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1637 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2019  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a scan of the reverse of an 1826 Half Dollar. Is the owner looking to sell the coin? I collect half dollar fakes and would be interested.

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1432 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2019  2:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a picture of the edge that was posted.

Says the edge says fifty with two stars one either side.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40501 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2019  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tell us, is the coin actually listed or described as having these incongruous sides?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1432 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2019  3:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin was not being sold yet, they were asking for an idea as to the price.

I pointed out the mismatch in the sides.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1637 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2019  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
correct edge should read "fifty cents or half dollar".
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16997 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2019  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An impossible combination from the mint. Or, more precisely, about one in 17 zillion chance.

I'm thinking weird magic coin until I saw the edge

Pillar of the Community
United States
2399 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2019  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The example appears to be a magic coin. The edge appears to have been cut off then the coins cut in half and reassemble. The rim on both sides appears to have been worked on. The obverse has what appears to be a seam near the edge of the coin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15753 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The edge ornamentation appears to be based on that of a bust dollar. The square box ornaments were used on bust dollars but I don't believe they were used on draped bust halves, and I am sure they weren't on capped bust.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  11:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add James Hicks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really interesting coin. Maybe made from 2 separate ones...
Pillar of the Community
United States
2514 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2019  06:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TreasHunt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, it is an impossible coin.
That said: it is a fake, probably a Magician's coin, for numismatists.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1432 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2019  07:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all of the help, the thread on the Facebook page has gone quiet about this item now.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.04 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05