Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I'm Thinking This Is A Bronze Chinese Currency Coin But Am Not Sure.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  4:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Crickets1212 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone; I am new to this group and am seeking help identifying an object found.

I have tried to learn what this is myself and have come up blank on an answer. I would greatly appreciate any help. My best guess is it is a bronze Chinese currency coin but am glad to gain an educated answer here.

It has a single character on the back and four character on the front as a currency coin would. I understand that you read a currency coin top to bottom then left to right or it could be read clockwise.
It is not attracted to magnet but I am unable to weigh it.

The top symbol/character I really cannot find anything quite like it.

Thanks for sharing your brain power.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5682 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2019  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's from Japan.

Kanei Tsuho, reverse "bun" for Kambun era
Edo mint, minted 1668-1673

The Japanese Mon coin was first issued during the Kanei era (1636) but due to popularity the inscription was frozen until production stopped in 1869. There are over 200 varieties, including two major types ("Old", the legs of Ho are joined at the bottom, versus "New" in which they do not touch) as well as a dozen mint marks. The rest are attributed by minor calligraphy style variations. It's a fascinating but daunting field to venture into. Hartill's Early Japanese Coins is the authoritative English language reference for these.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2019  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crickets1212 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finn235, Thank you so very much for taking the time with my inquiry.

I appreciate your answer and didn't expect to hear it was from Japan at all. Though that explains why I wasn't finding any Chinese characters to identify it for myself.

Just crazy- I found this in the middle of the desert in NV.

Thanks again for input and help.

Learn More...
United States
76282 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05