Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1913 S Type 2 Buffalo Nickel

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
653 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  7:59 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NJ Bob to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just picked up a 1913 S Type 2 Buffalo nickel. On the obverse it has a scratch across the hair and large feather otherwise it is a nice clean coin. Certified as an ANACS VF20 Details.

I paid $170, plus shipping and tax, making it $188 total.

What do you think, Nice Price or CP? (Apologies to Jalopnik)

Pillar of the Community
United States
7079 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You did ok. That's about market value, or a bit better, for VF20 details. Hopefully you plan on keeping it a while.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40423 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buying a details coin, especially a graded details coin, is almost always a mistake - as the case here in my opinion.
Pillar of the Community
United States
653 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NJ Bob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your thoughts.

The price I paid is about the limit I had set for buying this coin. As I see it this was preferable to an AG3 with a date that can hardly be read. A scratch doesn't bother me that much, whereas a cleaned coin would be out of the question.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40423 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With respect, it is tough enough to re-sell coins at fair market value in any market, much less a details coin in a TPG holder. Not a good investment, imo.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7739 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The scratch isn't too distracting, but I agree that buying problem free coins is a better investment.
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/328488
ANA: 3183215
Pillar of the Community
United States
2733 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...almost always a mistake.

What about this same coin having an acid recovered date? How would our members in this thread view this issue compared to a distracting scratch, a cleaned/whizzed coin or any other type of detailed Buf. 5C?
Pillar of the Community
United States
653 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NJ Bob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't buy it as an investment, I bought it to complete my set. I am going to set the coin free of it's slab and give it a new home in my album.

I realize, as an investment, this coin isn't the best.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1529 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Last coin to complete an album, I would have saved up a little longer for F/VF (pending grades of all other coins) details free. Just me...
Pillar of the Community
United States
860 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2019  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add perfessor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it's a bad deal. Especially since you are putting it in an album. I would've bought it if I had come across it for that price. I wouldn't normally crack a coin out of a slab, but in this case it's appropriate.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7528 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  02:33 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you did great. It's so noticeable because the pics so big. In real life it wouldn't stand out so much. I can use my iPad to make the pic the same size as a nickel. Can't hardly see it.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
1574 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  06:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's an attractive coin despite the scratch, and it was a decent price. I'd rather have that in an album than a straight graded AG/G for the same price.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18435 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you did great. Especially since they no longer make those coins and when you consider the amount minted, finding better ones is just not that easy.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11434 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm surprised ANACS detailed that coin . In my opinion that scratch is not bad enough to detail . Price was very good . I agree with coinfrog: buying a graded details coin is a mistake . I'm sure you'll crack it out . Throw away the slab as well as the insert and just inventory it as a VF-20 no need to say anything about details .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Learn More...
United States
76276 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice Price or CP? (Apologies to Jalopnik)
Love the reference.

I think you did well.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16946 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2019  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Opinions usually come from folks according to their own experience and education on a subject.

The same is true for this coin. Folks who don't care much for TPG applaud your decision and purchase. Folks who like coins in an album certainly agree with you.

But I'm afraid I'm on the Frogs side for a much, MUCH simpler reason.

I doubt there is anyone on this board who has an unlimited coin fund, even dealers or the 1%.

Given that money is limited for almost all of us and there is ALWAYS more exceptional, beautiful coins available than anyone else can afford - it is just plain silly to spend money on a clunker. Regardless of the reasons that you might come up with.

I want nothing but coins I LOVE in my collection.

You make your own decisions on the choice of coins you own.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.93 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05