Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1949 D Lincoln Wheat Cent Mint Error - Dropped Letter - MS Cherrypick

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,530Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1065 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  05:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Evan7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You pick up some nice coina
Valued Member
United States
261 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2019  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add beachnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin. Thanks for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1604 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  10:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nicely done on the Dropped letter.

I'm real interested to see what you find on the raised areas on the bust because I found 3-4 of this same die in an OBW a couple of years ago and wondered if the punch operator set the MM punch on the obv die multiple times trying to get the die in the correct alignment.

The raised anomalies are very similar but not exactly alike.

EDIT: I couldn't resist and dug one out. Yours has many of the same markers including the die gouge/ding near the rim above LIBERTY and the long double die scratch from the N (IN)to the hair below the D of GOD.
Reverse markers are similar as well but yours has a few NW-SE die "gouges" around the first dot. One of yours actually touches the dot. And the long die scratch from the L (PLU) through the O (ONE) and almost touching the N (CENT) is on mine also.
I was hoping to see remnants on mine of the D (raised of course) if it was hard enough to damage the die.
Edited by Petespockets55
08/25/2019 11:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2514 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a blast from the past. Finally got this one back from PCGS and it graded well.

Pillar of the Community
United States
7385 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  01:36 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It definitely did come back well! Sorry it took so long though, part on me, part on COVID. It was super neat to be able to see it in hand.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1604 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  07:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on that grade.

Did you ever make any determination on the raised squiggly "Cooper-worm" tracks on the bust? (Still undetermined die dmage?)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2286 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  07:54 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a fantastic error! Thanks for the update and congrats on the grade!
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Pillar of the Community
United States
1349 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  08:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent pic batts. I've gotten a couple really nice picks recently but don't want to post them because the seller is selling multiple of one variety and I want to pick them all!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4347 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very well done and it's a beauty too!
Pillar of the Community
United States
584 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobO411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really nice.
About the worms.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4233 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very well done! Big congrats for this one.

-CH27
Collector of Varieties and Errors of all kinds.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2514 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all! And Pete, those marks still remain an enigma. Since they are also on your coin they honestly must be on the die, and while I think generically they would be "die gouges" exactly how they were caused will probably remain a mystery. I do rather believe that somewhere out there is a nice struck through coin, and when that happened the wires or whatever were hard enough to impress into the die like a clash would, leaving those marks on all following coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1604 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  07:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks TB and Congrats again on the dropped letter.

I hadn't considered a wire causing the impression on the die, but it does have some resemblance. Next time I come across one of mine I'll include an image for comparison if you're interested.
Edited by Petespockets55
08/14/2020 07:18 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,530Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05