Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Asking A Question About The Best Way To Preserve Bills- New Collector!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  01:26 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add KendraZuzu to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys, I am new here. Today is my first day. I have a *small* collection & have recently been adding to it through eBay, though not from the seller who is scamming I found in a thread. I have bills that are just in a plastic sleeve, and I am looking for permanent homes for them that will preserve them carefully. I would prefer a book of some sort, but the only ones I seem to find use flimsy plastic sleeves inside the books. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I also will need a few coin holders. Where can I find these items, please? Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thank you for your reply. $
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29011 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  04:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Give it a bit and members will be along to help you.Make sure to check out the currency section of our forum.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
5034 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40379 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally prefer Lighthouse Grande albums, which are 3-ring loose-leaf binders that have clear pockets that you, in turn, put your stiff holders in. They are not inexpensive, however. Try http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com for similar, less expensive products.
Edited by Coinfrog
08/25/2019 5:48 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10149 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Learn More...
United States
76200 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10012 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Coinfrog - I use Lighthouse albums and Vario 3-pocket sheets for a lot of my notes. It's a great solution:

For some of my American currency collections I use Dansco currency albums:

Otherwise for my loose notes that I want to protect I just use semi-rigid currency sleeves.
Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KendraZuzu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I should add that I am new to the world of numismatics. I know that word, and not much else to be sure! I started collecting after getting a quarter in my change that was coloured and I thought it was special. I posted its pic on my Facebook acct, and people were commenting on it enough that I looked it up. It turned out that, while the prices varied greatly, the 25 cent coin was worth a few bucks. From there grew my love and thirst for more knowledge on the subject at hand. I am specifically into the years 1947, 1978, 1994, 1996, and 2003 due to sentimental reasons. I have added greatly to my collection, and want to have each item in great shape to be passed down one day. I have 3 bills and one of them came in a plastic sleeve and I want to preserve them all. I also still have the quarter I need to find a case for.

I like eBay the best, is there a certain set of words I should use to find one of these holders? Or do you recommend a different page, and if so which page? Remember I am brand new, so know less than most of you. Thank you guys.

~Kendra
Canada
8 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KendraZuzu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a more affordable way to preserve just a few bills than $60+, which is what I am seeing online so far as to pricing?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10012 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2019  12:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well we're glad to have you here, Kendra!

I apologize, I wasn't trying to sell you the undercoat/rustproofing package and 10-year warranty, but I do stand by the Lighthouse/Vario solution being top-notch.

If you don't want to lay out that kind of cash, the best bang for the buck IMHO is the semi-rigid sleeves or top-loaders I mentioned before contained in a currency box, which can be found on Amazon and Wizard. These are high-quality, safe, inexpensive, and you can be all in for 10-15 bucks (Wizard has shipping fees so if you're a Prime member, your best bet is via Amazon for this price range). I've included links to Wizard below for convenience but by all means, use your preferred source.

Sleeves
Top Loaders (more rigid than sleeves)
Currency Box

This is how I store most of my loose notes that I want to protect. Good luck and let us know what you decide on.
Edited by CelticKnot
08/27/2019 12:46 am
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15771 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2019  01:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Banknote storage albums, where the pages are made from clear, soft PVC are common.
Don't use PVC album pages ! PVC plastic is even worse for notes, than it is for coins.
Use Mylar album pages instead.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18430 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2019  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Try http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com for similar, less expensive products.

That would be my suggestion too.
And not sure about sending to Canada for postage.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1090 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2019  07:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there a more affordable way to preserve just a few bills than $60+, which is what I am seeing online so far as to pricing?

The Lighthouse binders are very nice, but they are expensive.

You don't have to use a Lighthouse binder for Vario sized pages though. They will fit into any 3 or 4 ring binder. So, you can reduce the storage cost by just buying the Vario 3C or 4C pages (since you like eBay, just do a search for lighthouse vario) and putting them into a binder of your choice. I use Vario 3C pages and a common binder from Staples for my ungraded currency.

When it comes to graded currency, I'm with Coinfrog and CelticKnot. I use a Lighthouse Grande binder with 2C Grande pages.
Edited by BadDog
08/27/2019 08:37 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40379 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2019  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good advice - it's easy to buy a less expensive holder.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05