Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

By Far My Favorite Roman Republic Denarius: Cupid Riding A Goat!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
568 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  3:31 pm Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
21 mm, 3.96 grams. In terms of ancient coins I love a good Greek Hippocamp etc but this Cupid Riding a Goat might be my favorite ancient coin design and I think this Religion with such fanciful characters must have been extremely cool to be part of!

Pillar of the Community
United States
4448 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, I like this issue too. I would hope it attracts some spirited bidding.
Learn More...
United States
22605 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is one I've wanted to add to my collection.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3037 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the type
But does the edge seem rather square ?
Filed a bit ?
I don't know for sure but it seems it might raise a question
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15994 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Other than the edge, looks OK, but
I think FR has made fair comment.
Further investigation needed.

There IS an edge split below the goat. Have a look inside this split with a high powered loupe, looking for tensile metal distress, that would be due to striking, not pressure casting. If cast, there would be no evidence of tearing.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
568 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FVRIVS RVFVS and sel_69l;

I have just uploaded two photos to help you consider the coin. Suffice to say the coin was purchased from a person of your caliber, both of you, who cared a lot about their collection and were probably quite careful but perhaps like yourselves did not really plan for the future and upon their passing from this world the coins end up with people like me who purchase estates from kids who want to buy electronics or whatever modern people demand to keep them happy. If a coin is not real I put it in the black box of course but I feel good about this one and have no concerns.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15994 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2019  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the picture of the edge.
This particular 'crack', when seen in the picture, looks to be more like impact damage, so not of much help , either way.

Nevertheless, it would be very wrong of me to declare this coin, from what I see in all of these pictures to be false, despite the thoughts that both FR and myself share.

Do not put it the 'doubtful' bin yet !
Pillar of the Community
United States
3037 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  12:13 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am (as I often mention) always suspicious about ancient silver lacking a well documented provenance
I know of one dealer who refuses to handle most ancients lacking an antique "ticket"
It's not just silver of course
But I personally feel more comfortable spotting bronze fakes
Who among us would have spotted the one recently posted that dissolved in acetone leaving something resembling a speck of corroded scrap ?
None is the short answer
Lately I have seen quite a few of this Cupid reverse type
The same goes for the Septimius 'Dea Caelestis' type
Suddenly they seem fairly common
It arouses my suspicions
Of course they can't all be fakes
But where there is a demand
You will find a supplier

COGITO ERGO SPVD
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
568 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  01:42 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you look at my other coins up now you will find quite a few with this old man's ticket. Coins you won't question. Then quite a few from known dealers of the past 40 years as well. All from the same mans estate.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3037 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2019  07:33 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always question .......
Gets me in loads of trouble
I already noted this paper ticket
The man may have been old
Many of us 'fossils' use fountain pens still
But the age of this ticket does not impress
I have underwear that predates

I did not condemn the coin as fake
Merely noted that the edge seemed square and possibly filed a bit
Rich folks did crazy things to coins when these things sold for a dollar or two
Even museums
I have a Commodus bronze that has an 'olde' museum catalogue number painted in the field
But the edges are hammered too
Squared if you will
But it's genuine as far as I can tell

COGITO ERGO SPVD
Edited by FVRIVS RVFVS
08/26/2019 07:41 am
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
568 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2019  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FVRIVS RVFVS;

Well when you say the "age of this ticket does not impress", I do totally understand. To me this is more like a piece of evidence that I take into full consideration. The man's handwriting is on all his tickets and it matches up. Then you extrapolate that to this ticket below, which has his hand writing on one side and the CNG tag on the other. Then you look up the CNG tag and you find the exact coin etc. All that leads me to add credibility for the sincere intent of the past collector who's collection I am in temporary care of. And note if you click through to that CNG link that coin below sells for $65 in 2014 before the buyers fees so me starting it off no reserve for $1 often resets the clock on the coin so to speak, bringing it back to today's supply and demand market value. If you remember the savings and loan crisis and all the land flipping the government ended up bailing out millions of dollars on a property that was inflated over and over where each sale made sure the last note was satisfied and we bankrupted the FSLIC just to set prices back to market value. I like that estate coin sales do essentially this for ancient coins and we all know the "going" price for a coin in an open 5 day auction.

https://www.cNGCoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=271044
Valued Member
United States
459 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2019  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
louisvillekyshop
That rotary phone is almost as ancient as the coin...
Pillar of the Community
United States
776 Posts
 Posted 08/27/2019  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is one of the most common Republican types. CNG has nearly 100 of them in their archives. $30 in 1985 was about right. I cant make out the name following HH but it might be fun for the next owned to try to track down the provenance.

https://cNGCoins.com/Search.aspx?IS...&VIEW_TYPE=0

It looks like one previous owner was so proud that he scratched his initial "M" (Marcus?) on the obverse.
Edited by Kushanshah
08/27/2019 11:46 pm
Valued Member
Canada
204 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2019  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NorthSideTy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the coin :)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.05 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05