Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

September 2019 Release

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4098 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2019  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The only thing I don't like is the large 'coffin' it came in. I know the relief is high, but the plastic did not need to be 'that' thick.

I agree, the depth of the capsule is excessive for the coin.

My guess is that they are using the same capsule for multiple different high-relief coins and ordered a capsule size that fits the one with the highest relief vs. different capsules specific to the relief of each coin. A potential cost savings move.

Edited by commems
10/15/2019 12:00 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
572 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does the capsule fit into the Lighthouse coin tray? Sometimes the clear plastic cover will not slide closed over the thick coins due to the thickness of the capsule.

I have the same question about the 1949 SD in the July 2019 release and have not been able to get an answer.
http://goccf.com/t/349392&whichpage=2
Valued Member
Canada
337 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does the capsule fit into the Lighthouse coin tray?

No. I have it sitting in a tray that I got for the Murano Glass coins. All of my 36mm SDs with the exception of this one live in a Lighthouse CAPS 36 tray; this coin does clip the top of the drawer slide as the drawer closes. It is a disappointment. I did not buy into the 1949 release ... justifying to myself that it wasn't a 36mm coin (It is 34mm) so I don't know.

I really like this coin but as you note, the "coffin" size is excessive.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
572 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  12:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@vonigohcr, thank you very much for the information. I agree with your comments about the 34mm format for the 1949 release.

Too bad, I will not be purchasing this coin. The RCM needs to stick with a standard format.

Cheers!
Valued Member
Canada
337 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2019  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The RCM needs to stick with a standard format

I agree. It would be nice if all coins of a specific Face Value had a similar form factor. That would allow the completionist geeks among us to keep our OCD under control.

If you look at the FV of $25, it has been used for 40mm, 60mm, 38mm, 36mm, 34mm and 27mm not to mention a football shaped coin and some high relief coins where the thickness causes issues with a tray. Were you a collector of $25 with a desire for a common display then you are into designing and building a custom presentation cabinet of some form... not something off the shelf.

$30 doesn't fare much better... It commenced in 2005 with a 40mm coin then in 2014, a 54mm coin which stuck until the Zentangle series were issued at 50mm.

The $1 SD has been a stalwart at 36mm (+/-) since 1935 with few diversions... notably the introduction of the nickel $ at 32mm then the Loon at 26.5mm. In the NCLT realm, ignoring the "big Coins" all SD's have fit the 36mm diameter with the exception of the two loons issue at 38mm in 2012. The weight of the coins has fluctuated but that has been accommodated by thickness and minor diameter changes not a form factor adjustment. This year the RCM has decided to give us the High Relief $1 Peace coin and a 34mm Piedfort 1949 reissue. I hope this is not a trend going forward.

Another series I collect is the $100 gold. That has been 27mm since 1976 (excepting the 1st 22k version) and has remained through karat changes and weight reductions... This year though we got the Apollo 11 coin at 25mm and convex format... I passed.

Not that I don't want these coins to be produced... just not in the familiar $1 or $100 formats.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05