Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Spain (Azores) 5 Pesetas 1871 KM#666

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
965 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2019  7:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can anyone explain this anomaly in edge lettering?
I say Azores because it has a non-genuine Azores countermark.
The edge should be like this:
Lettering: * | * JUSTICIA | * * Y * * | LIBERTAD *
But mine has two extra letters like this:
Lettering: * | * JUSTICIA | * As * Y * * | LIBERTAD *
Just guessing, could this be initials of the numismatic forger?
Edited by Albert
08/29/2019 10:55 pm
Valued Member
United States
237 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PatAR to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm familiar with this from coins of Isabel II. There is a company called "Acuņaciones del Sur" in Seville that produces medals, jewelry, and reproductions of coins for company functions, celebrations, marketing, and similar promotional events. The hallmark "AS" on the edge identifies the coin as a reproduction of their making.
Pillar of the Community
United States
965 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for that reply. I have a better understanding of what I have now.
Can you also say if the maker used good silver?
My piece is not .900 silver but it does test to be very close to .800 or .700 silver.
Valued Member
United States
237 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PatAR to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've not made a study of their composition and don't know a lot about the company's operation, but I suspect each batch is made to order based on the client's request.

It would make sense for larger orders to be base metal for use in a festival or similar event. However, it is equally likely they also made/make coins in silver or gold for use in their jewelry or for more lavish events.

I'd be interested to learn of any further aspects of your coin you may uncover in future or of other examples people may have.
Pillar of the Community
United States
965 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can and will post more. I am awaiting a genuine coin to arrive via mail so that I can make comparison photos after that coin arrives.
This piece is 25.63g instead of 25.00g. It does ring.
It is diamagnetic as a silver coin would be.
It does melt ice very quickly as a silver coin would do.
It's specific gravity does equate to .800 silver or slightly less.
The weight is too much, the denticles do vary from a genuine coin.
The countermark is a known & documented fake.
Obviously the piece does have the AS hallmark.
I will be happy to post photos after my genuine coin arrives as expected within several days.
Pillar of the Community
United States
965 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a comparison photo showing the difference in the tooth-like projections along the rim and the numerals 9 and the second 0.
Specific gravity of the genuine coin is 10.29 being 37.4mm dia, 2.5mm thk and 24.89g weight.
The replica specific gravity is 10.13 being 37.3mm dia, 2.5mm thk and 25.63g weight.

Valued Member
United States
237 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PatAR to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Albert thank you so much for the additional information! Very enlightening.

Your comparison photo clearly identifies the lettering as a tell on this coin. The much higher weight is similarly significant, as official issues of many silver coins were often a bit lower, but almost never higher than the legal weight. Certainly never that much higher.

I'll note this and the other information you've provided for compilation and further investigation. Thank you for sharing this!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05