Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How To Dispose Of 5 Folders Of LWC

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18574 Posts
 Posted 09/05/2019  11:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One warning, those folders will ruin your coins unless they are very well stored. Even then, I've found they seem to retain moisture and can cause the backs of the coins to corrode.

This is very true. We have had this on this forum in the past.
The glue on the back of the slots on the paper tends to effect the reverse of the coins. Best move all out of those folders and use Albums.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2019  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can also check out a local coin shop, I doubt they will offer much though. I picked up a few from my local shop to get a few that I was missing as it was cheaper to get the whole set than buy individual. I ended up giving the extras away for free.
Valued Member
United States
439 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  03:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just carl-

good advice, well-received. I'm going to remove my wheaties from the folder & stash them until I can find a better solution.

i am supposing a CAPS album or dansco album. I don't want my wheaties to corrode, especially now that I am needing only the older & more scarce dates & mints to complete my set.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4628 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I put my extra's in albums for my kids and grandkids, a good way to use the extras.
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrisof4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Badthad, you aint lying. These have obviously been in these folders for a long time, and the coins show it! I am pulling my set out and placing them in flips and then in binder pages. Most of these definitely require some gentle restoration first.

Just Carl, good advice, but I don't really want multiple sets. I would rather have one set that I increasingly improve the quality of. I view the rest as trading opportunities to help achieve this goal.
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrisof4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I decided to assemble one complete set for myself, choosing the best coins from the collection. I came up 3 coins short, which is not too bad, considering the wheats span almost 50 years. There is a lot of room for improvement in this collection as I find opportunities to swap out for better quality examples.

I am missing the 1909 VDB S of course. The other 2 are very common dates, and I should have little trouble filling them. I need a 1915 and 1916-S.

As for the rest, I will try to trade/sell them as I can. I already have one offer for a raccoon pelt, so I need to make sure I have enough left for this to be a fair trade.

Here are some photos of the entire collection. If anyone is interested in close ups of any key dates, please let me know.

Thank you to everyone for your input and suggestions!

P.S. - I don't know if that 1931-S is really MS-65 or not. I put that in a flip a couple of years ago. Also, ignore the price on that. I meant to white both of those out.

Learn More...
United States
77458 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41508 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice-looking lot!
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2019  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrisof4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Would you like to trade a set for (1) professionally tanned raccoon pelt?

Philjam,
If you are still interested in a trade, please let me know. I tried to email you, but your profile does not allow emails. I have a second set of wheats put together for your consideration. Thanks!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05