Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Am Fairly New To The Coin Hunting Scene

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
42 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2019  05:13 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ryanandfamily5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello to anyone who reads this post, I am curious on hearing from anyone willing to explain to me how hunting threw coins works .
I am wondering if all US coins that are made, do they only use 1 blank planchett from the day its minted and never try to reuse that coin again in the future. with out having to re-melt the medal contents?
probably a dumb thing to ask but again I am sorta new to this hobby and when I am searching for coins worth keeping with errors I seem to find certain coins that look like they have been minted on top of other past dated currency ,to me I think I see faint indications of coins that have been re minted over just wondering if this is normal or not. Does the us mints reuse older coins for newer pressed currency purposes. does anyone know if they re melt the medal and make blank planchetts or do the try to re face the coin then press it with newer style stamp I seem to be chasing my self with this issue of mine hoping for other peoples thoughts or opinions on this topic.
Thanks for any advise your willing to give!
Valued Member
179 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2019  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add James Hicks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will tell you the basics. The bank sends all of its coins to the federal reserve. The Federal Reserve then rerolls the old coins and puts some newer coin in it. They do not remelt the old coins. What you do if you want to search for a mint error or silver, go to the bank, and order a box of pennies, or whatever denomination you want. The pennies come in $25 boxes, and halves come in $500. The dimes and quarters I think are $100 boxes. They will order them, and tell you when they get them in. You then go to the bank and pick it up. You pay face value, there is no charge. Once you pick them up, you then search them, reroll them, and bring the ones you don't want back to the bank for your money back.
Pillar of the Community
United States
841 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2019  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope you have a great time hunting Ryan!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5811 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2019  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The US mint doesn't overstrike (strike over existing coins) intentionally, and I don't believe they ever have -- the few existing overstrikes (mostly from the early 19th century) were mostly mint employees making illegal coins.

Coins circulate until they are collected, lost, or deemed unfit for continued circulation; i.e. when they are no longer accepted by automated coin counters. Worn out or mutilated coins used to be sent back to the Fed for destruction, but I think that program was suspended following industrial-scale abuse by China. A very small percentage of destroyed coins might be recycled into the raw materials to make new ones, but the mint has large scale contracts with multiple mining firms to source the metals. The zinc lobby for example has been a driving force in keeping the penny on life support.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
United States
2670 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2019  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF...when you think you see a re-stamped coin, you might be viewing a coin with Machine Doubling on it..read/learn as much as you can before rerolling your coins..And when/if you return the coin rolls to the bank, make it a different branch, you don't want to be re-checking your re-rolled coins again...good luck
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2019  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We look forward to your participation. Please ask any questions you might have. If you have specific questions about specific coins please provide photos of same.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05