Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Dedicated Encased Farthings Website

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United Kingdom
13 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  09:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Upinsmoke to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As you may or may-not know I have been collecting Encased Farthings for around 2 years now. I have been working on a dedicated Website to showcase these interesting pieces. I have been helped by two other collectors of encased farthings from Canada and the USA, and also with the help from several other kind contributors. I am now at a point where the website is up and running, so would like some feedback on what you all think of it so far. You can find the Website here https://encasedfarthings.com/ I do hope you can take the time to have a look and give me some feedback.

I of course welcome any contributions  to this project. If you have any other information, pictures to add. I do hope you enjoy your visit.

Regards Mick
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13590 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@uis, this isn't a specific area of interest for me, but I thought that your website was pretty good. Since you asked, here are a couple thoughts to ponder implementing. First, the pieces are organized alphabetically by holder issuer name. Is that the most common way that they are collected? I think that some US tokens are first broken down by state. Would including some geography help folks find what they are looking for faster? Whatever most folks use as their hierarchy, I would strive to duplicate this. Second, I like that you include all the inscriptions (as this should help with finding your site in a web search), but wonder if there isn't a common reference or catalog for these pieces. In other words, can you include relevant attributions as well?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Edited by Spence
09/10/2019 2:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2809 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@upinsmoke, is your list that of all encased farthings you know? It seems very small compared to the hundreds or thousands from the US.
United Kingdom
13 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Upinsmoke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@uis, this isn't a specific area of interest for me, but I thought that your website was pretty good. Since you asked, here are a couple thoughts to ponder implementing. First, the pieces are organized alphabetically by holder issuer name. Is that the most common way that they are collected? I think that some US tokens are first broken down by state. Would including some geography help folks find what they are looking for faster? Whatever most folks use as their hierarchy, I would strive to duplicate this. Second, I like that you include all the inscriptions (as this should help with finding your site in a web search), but wonder if there isn't a common reference or catalog for these pieces. In other words, can you include relevant attributions as well?

Thank you for your comments. If you did not realise this is almost certainly is the most complete reference catalogue available online. There is no other common reference or catalogue for these pieces. This has taken me 2 years of compiling information with the help of two or three other collectors. So I don't think your find a more complete reference of Encased Farthing of the UK anywhere. I do appreciate your comments thanks.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16024 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few encased coins as pictured, but they were issued to me as a member of the Australian Numismatic Society.

One of the most innovative of them is actually an issued coin within a coin:- an Australian silver Sixpence within a larger Australian bronze Penny.
United Kingdom
13 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Upinsmoke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@upinsmoke, is your list that of all encased farthings you know? It seems very small compared to the hundreds or thousands from the US.

@oriole Hi thanks for your reply. The list is of all known UK Encased Farthing known to exist at this present time. Not to say there aren't others out there to be discovered. The website was created to be a go to reference for those out there that collect British Encased Farthings so will be updated as and when new discoveries appear. This is why I am reaching out to all collectors in the hope someone may have undiscovered pieces they would be willing to share the images of and any information they may have. You are right that the list is quite small in fact around 80 + these encased farthings advertising pieces did not take off as well in the UK as the encased cents did in the USA. So hence the smaller numbers.
Edited by Upinsmoke
09/11/2019 09:32 am
United Kingdom
13 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2019  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Upinsmoke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just finished adding to the website lots more to see. Interested in anyone collecting these to get in contact with me. If you are an avid collector of Encased Farthings or maybe just have to odd one or two in your collections would be interested in seeing your pictures please.
United Kingdom
13 Posts
 Posted 10/27/2019  07:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Upinsmoke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have a few encased coins as pictured, but they were issued to me as a member of the Australian Numismatic Society.

I would be interested in seeing pictures of them please.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 3.74 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05