Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

This Is Way Out Of My Wheel House But I Am Interested To Know More

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
107 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  11:54 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mrulon to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Pillar of the Community
United States
2399 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are going to spend that kind of money on eBay, the coin has to be in a TPG holder or there is too much risk. Many of the high dollar raw coins on eBay are problem coins. Why is the coin not in a TPG holder?
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sasquatch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have bought expensive raw coins on ebay, but I use a known dealer that accepts returns.
I always look at the sellers feedback, and I always judge buy the picture. With poor pictures I assume they are trying to hide something.
Also keep in mind the majority of coins on ebay have been cleaned. Nothing is as good as the coin in the hand.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40443 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd wait for a more-natural looking TPG example.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8185 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seller does admit that it is a details coin and with a provenance from a known and apparently fairly well-respected dealer (Jonathan Kern) I would not fear too much for authenticity.

I agree with seller's grade of XF-AU details. It is not unattractive -- better than some full grade XF45/AU50 coins I see in TPG holders. The variety O-101 is accurately attributed.

That being said, $700 is nearly full retail for a problem-free XF coin, and I'd knock 10-15% off that on an offer and negotiate up; if you're pursuing a higher end set of Bust halves with RedBook varieties, and are going to pay close to retail, you're better off buying an XF45 in a PCGS/NGC holder, moreso with CAC approval.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
3293 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with Paralyse - this coin will always being a details coin, purchased at high retail.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17507 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-58 details, cleaned
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05