Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Am New, And Need Help...buffalo Nickels

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  7:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Anna Mary to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

are these proofs? they are very very shiny
thank you?
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anna Mary to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
7853 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Unfortunately, they do not look like proofs. Looks like someone polished them.
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/328488
ANA: 3183215
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anna Mary to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of them looks like it has less lines and indentations than the other, so that may be true. These were my father in laws, and I am not sure that he not have known any better that to do that. what made me wonder was the fact that the have that "mirrored" look when you see them in person. sort of a mercury look, if you know what I mean. Could they have been polished to look that way? Darn, I thought we had something here.
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anna Mary to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, just re_read your reply. I did not polish these, in fact just pulled them out of a box I found today. Dad in law had them many years. I haven't even wiped them off... I would not have presented them as I did if I had altered them in any way. Sorry, new here. took a minute to understand what you were saying. Polishing them would only devalue them further.
Edited by Anna Mary
09/10/2019 8:32 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11817 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF , I don't think your father-in-law would have 1937 proof Buffalo nickels floating around unholderd in a box . I'm sure the are plated or buffed up business strikes . Kills collector value .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anna Mary to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I know my dad would have know the value of what he had...that was his venue, but my father in law, he was quite a hoarder :) but a sweet heart.
Thanks for the help. Found a video on another site, they explained the difference between proofs and shiny coins. But really, the picture above does not capture the mirrored look of these. How does someone actually buff up a coin? it looks different than just new. But buffed is most what it is.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6118 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2019  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Metal polish and s Dremel buffing wheel.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Edited by Earle42
09/10/2019 9:56 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17898 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  01:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe they can be your first two coins in a Buffalo set.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18637 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Unfortunately just polished with some kind of stuff like a car wax.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29885 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  07:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Someone buffed/polished them, most likely to use in/on jewelry.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anna Mary to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bet it was pap! He he! Thanks yall!
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anna Mary to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, one more question....got a bag of coins, so, very confusing. Instead of going to the "shiny"one (my first inclination) here is one more that I was wondering : would this be something that happened when minted or did someone lay it on the railroad? Last question ....honest.
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddyknuckles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just because you are need doesn't mean you shouldn't get a fair shake is it possible to get closer pictures of the nickels please. If using a smart phone you should be able to crop it on your phone before loading it onto the site it works wonders. Also please if possible attempt clean pictures of the reverses of your "1937" nickels before the experts jump to value better pictures including the reverses will help you tremendously. If her father had been a collector it is possible we need reverse pictures and better close ups before we venture as to value. Remember just because it isn't likely...doesn't mean it isn't possible.
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddyknuckles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anna Mary to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will get a better photo of the nickel, and of this one, it will take a bit, need to use my camera...my phone and I pad aren't great. My dad was an antique book dealer, but the 2 Indian head nickels were not his, they were my fatherinlaws. Dad has been gone almost 30 years, he knew a lot.thank you!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05