Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Andrea Dorra Shipwreck Silver Certificate Graded By PCGS?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  8:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Still In Circ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I was at the Long Beach expo this past weekend and saw a Andrea Dorra Shipwreck Silver Certificate inside of a giant PCGS Currency plexie glass slab and wanted to know more about it and was curious if some people maybe able to help me understand the significance of that note and the story behind the ship. To me, it was just a 1935 F silver certificate stuck in an oversized slab that probably costed way to much money. Anyone's opinion or thoughts on this and the topic is encouraged!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40443 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you show us any links or pics?
Valued Member
United States
98 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Still In Circ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes.
https://www.thecoinvault.com/p-1448...b-grade.aspx
That is just one being sold online at the moment.
Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2019  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add harley1960 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5498 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  03:50 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is very interesting:
https://www.nytimes.com/1981/09/01/...re-hunt.html
The Andrea Doria was the most modern and luxurious postwar Italian ocean liner. She was accidentally rammed by the Swedish liner Stockholm off Nantucket, Mass. on July 25, 1956, and sank. About 50 people died in the collision, 45 of them on the Andrea Doria.

Although badly damaged, the Stockholm survived the collision and her crew were able to rescue many of the Andrea Doria's passengers. The Stockholm is still sailing today, as the cruise ship Astoria, operated by Cruise & Maritime Voyages. I saw her in Bergen earlier this year!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29045 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  05:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coinvault one is better condition and the same price.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
2259 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  05:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a passing or casual interest but know of a few that specialize in this type of collectible. A niche that crosses over between collectors with a passion for shipwreck artifacts and paper money collectors. Proving provenance is paramount particularly when a hoard is involved. Prices vary depending on availability and overall significance of the event.

Awesome links and comments from fellow members. &👍
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15778 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  06:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can still remember the newspaper pictures of the sinking of the Andrea Doria.
Valued Member
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  02:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Coin Vault is the numismatic equivalent of the Home Shopping Network. You can bet whatever they are selling has been marked up by at least 500 percent.
Pillar of the Community
United States
567 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The collision happened a year before I was born, but I read the book when I was 11 or 12. Very memorable.

Interesting to know the Stockholm is still in service.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3288 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A friend has bought and sold a couple of them. Had one at ANA. That is a monster hunk of plastic.
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05