Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commemorative Banknotes

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member

United Kingdom
373 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2019  02:49 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does anyone else like a "commemorative"?
That little extra printed logo & unique serial lettering, an addition to an otherwise regular note, maybe it's celebrating a birth, death, sporting event, state visit or educational institute.
Got to say that I am a bit of a sucker for a commemorative note.
Here is a nice one, celebrating Thomas de la Rue, from Guernsey in the UK Channel Islands & who started what is now the world's largest commercial security printer & paper company.
Please do share your own commemorative notes here.

This banknote commemorates 200 years since de la Rue's first commercial printing venture.

Guernsey 1 pound (2013)

Learn More...
United States
77253 Posts
Valued Member
United Kingdom
373 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2019  02:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks jbuck
2 Commemorative banknotes from Nigeria.
50 Naira (2010) which commemorates 50 years of Nigerian Independence.
100 Naira (2014) 100 years of The United Nations.

Learn More...
United States
77253 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
573 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2019  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does anyone else like a "commemorative"?

- I like them but they're too often a "rip off" either because they're an expensive limited edition (like the P190 Philippines 100,000 Piso mentioned in another thread) or because everyone has hoarded them (like P84 CDN "1867-1967" Centennial $1 notes). Canadians thought these were really cool and hoarded bundles of the non-serial number ("1867-1967") so that the same notes with a serial number became the most desirable later on.

If you look at the SWPMC you'll see that most commemoratives (& Collector series banknotes) do not hold their BV well and are disappointing. I saw Philippines P189 2000 Piso notes being sold for half their BV (about $100 tho BV is $200).

Limited editions are probably the worse since they're sold for a small fortune while the others are just FV (& never go up in BV due to harmless hoarding). Most of these notes remind me of sad fate of "Canadian Commemorative and non-circulating coinage" NCLT which only attracts a niche market of diehard collectors.

Having said that, however, I too like them (obviously "I'm a diehard" since I actually bought the 2011 Philippines 200 P posted in another thread) but that was for a good reason (-just spent a month there this past spring, it was dirt cheap & all the locals told me they rarely see 200 P notes).

Here's a 1983 Falkland Islands 5 Pound (P12) commemorating 150 years of English rule:
Valued Member
United Kingdom
373 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  12:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent walk2dwater
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10044 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool stuff. Are these commems usually government-issued or aftermarket? I see the special printings on the Falkland and Nigeria notes, but what is the tipoff for the Guernsey? Is it just a completely different design than standard issue?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
373 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thomas de la Rue is on the back of the Guernsey note, replacing the usual portrait. The serial number prefix is TDLR.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
573 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks "Scots" (just a sucker over Falkland Island notes)

Quote:
Are these commems usually government-issued or aftermarket?

- most of them are government-issued (as far as I know).

For me, I think the trick is finding ones you like (because of the particular designs) or because they're uncommon (lower & limited print runs). Typically, though, they're quite often put aside by non-collectors- hence pretty weak BV.
Valued Member
United States
372 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2019  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dave L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect them, but as Walk2dwater does, I collect what appeals to me, as they are "collectors editions", and like the U.S. 2 dollar bill commemorative from 1976 - there's a bunch out there! I like them as long as they are a complete design, and I try to avoid the cheesy ones that only have an overprinted stamp and such.

I have some those shown above - I was really looking forward to the 100 Naira as it depicts primitive currencies as well - manilas, shells, etc., and was the first note I had that incorporated a QR Code. And the TDLR note, well how could I pass that one up?!
- Dave L
IBNS #9984
http://www.banknoteden.com
Valued Member
United Kingdom
373 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  03:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Djibouti 40 Francs (2017)
Commemorating 40 years of Independence

Pillar of the Community
Canada
573 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Djibouti commemorative is a beauty "Scots"
Here's another 2017 commemorative TEN (celebrating 150 years of independence) from my home & native land:

Edited by walk2dwater
09/15/2019 2:12 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
373 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  02:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent note walk2dwater, very colourful & a plenty of imagery.
Looks like there's a few 'scots' on it too.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
573 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  07:48 am  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
-Thanks

Quote:
Looks like there's a few 'scots' on it too.

Macdonald & Macphail's folks came from Scotland I'm sure - you know our country's Heritage well.
About 40,000,000 of the "150" commemorative $10 printed but at least it's a "repeater" (& I've sweet tooth for special serial numbers). Even find the SN on your Djibouti 40 Francs (AD 0009404) appealing tho would have been super 404 notes shy of the one you have (the 0009000 2 digit radar). Like the whale shark depicted on that note (we got close up to them in Oslob, Cebu Island, Philippines).
Valued Member
United Kingdom
373 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ScotsGreyhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, 0009000 would have been real nice on that Djibouti note walk2dwater.
You certainly have an eye for nice serial numbers
Here is another (badly made) Bangladesh Commemorative, 70 taka this time, check the watermark area again, I think they tried to hide the number with the radar dish

Learn More...
United States
77253 Posts
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05