Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 D Roosevelt Dime - Doubling On Roosevelt Face (Hot Lips)?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
613 Posts
 Posted 09/15/2019  11:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Eyes4Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all!

Found this 1964 D Dime that could possibly be a Hot Lips?

I keep looking it over... thought I do a shout out

1964 D Roosevelt dime - Doubling on Roosevelt face?
Edited by Eyes4Error
09/16/2019 12:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
613 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyes4Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let me try this again...
Ugh uploading is going slow tonight - must have a bad connection! Took forever to get these posted... so will be my only post tonight ;)

Pillar of the Community
United States
613 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyes4Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and finally.... the last one uploaded!
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Redvernon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my 1964 Roosevelt dime. I found examples of the 1964D but this isn't a Denver minted coin. How could the same error occur at different mints?

Pillar of the Community
United States
613 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyes4Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Redvernon your is definitely a HOT LIPS...

I am unsure on mine, because it had no match up attribute... but I keep looking over this coin wondering if I am seeing hub doubling or not? Mine only seems to have the bottom lip doubled... but also seems to have a doubling on the forehead as well...?

Pillar of the Community
United States
2657 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Eye4Error, I see the doubling on the lips, so I think it could be. I would wait for others to chime in. Very cool find!

-CH27
"Time is the coin of life. Only you can determine how it will be spent" -Carl Sandburg

Some of my best finds:
1867 Indian cent RPD Snow-1 http://goccf.com/t/357323
1963 25 Type B reverse http://goccf.com/t/352858
1964 LMC Tapered Planchet http://goccf.com/t/344895
1942 LWC DDO FS-104 http://goccf.com/t/344022

Pillar of the Community
United States
613 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyes4Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Redvernon - To answer your question:

Quote:
How could the same error occur at different mints?

I think the answer is that it would doubling on a master die - Master die doubling resembles a minor doubled die (hub doubling), but instead of being restricted to a single working die, it appears on many working dies (so could effect various mints).

This would be considered a variety (not error coin).
Edited by Eyes4Error
09/16/2019 12:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
613 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyes4Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also the bridge of his nose is interesting... possibly caused from die clash?
Pillar of the Community
United States
613 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyes4Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone else go some input for me? PLEASE & THANK YOU!
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Redvernon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Eye4Error thanks for the reply. Honestly I don't know diddly about coins. I recently got into metal detecting and found myself watching YouTube videos. One of which was about Roosevelt dimes of value. I had bought some silver dimes a while back and decided to see if I had a 1964D "Hot Lips" dime mentioned in the video. I ended finding this, a reverse double die, and a few dd rpm (I think) dimes. BTW I hope I'm using the terminology correctly. Anyways I was trying to find information on this dime and ended up here. I don't know what it's worth and there seems to be some confusion as the 1964d I read about was listed wdd002 or something and then it was decided it wasn't. You said it was a variety and I assume that is not the greatest designation. I was thinking of having it and the reverse dd graded but I don't know if it's worth the money.
Pillar of the Community
United States
613 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyes4Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No worries Redvernon... I have been doing this for a little over a year now I think... and still have lots of question and still learning! This is a good site to get familiar with all the things you can look for.

A variety is a good thing... There are varieties, which means that it is a minting error on the die that would cause the same effect on several coins struck at the mint or mints if it involves master die doubling... etc. Then you could also have error coins, which can include many happenings on coins which would have had to place in the mint.

Understanding the minting process is key to identifying variety and error coins. Like I said I still have a lot to learn, but I am getting more familiar and confident with the help of they many eyes and noggins helping me to understand what I am looking at on a coin.

I will let the PROs on here give more detailed, better and accurate info on your "Hot Lips" variety, as I am just learning about it as well ;)

We'll be learning about this one together

Here is a great place to look for references on this site... CoopHome
Edited by Eyes4Error
09/16/2019 5:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
613 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyes4Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BTW... Redvernon

Pillar of the Community
United States
1065 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Evan7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Eye4error, it appears to be doubled to me. Hope more members will chime in
Pillar of the Community
United States
613 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyes4Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just wanted to make sure I am getting comments RE: my coin the 1964 D - (pictured first).
That is the one I am inquiring about...

*** Not to be confused with the the follow up 1964 (P) - Redvernon posted... which is a nice "for sure" HOT LIPS ;)
Pillar of the Community
United States
613 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eyes4Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Evan7 - I wish I could get some response too...

I haven't been on this site for awhile- life happens... But, I am pretty sure someone will be able to help confirm something soon...

Quote:
Eye4error, it appears to be doubled to me. Hope more members will chime in
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not an expert on anything, much less Rosie's, but you seem to match up nicely with 1964-D 10 WDDO-002 from Wexler's website, http://doubleddie.com/1312740.html

Looking for die markers on circulated coins can be next to impossible, but my guess (and it's just a guess) is that you have a late stage coin. That might explain why the doubling on the upper lip is less visible.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05