Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Morgan Dollar Books Do You Recommend?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
378 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  10:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently added my first Morgan dollar to my collection and I have fallen in love. I want to get more details on the history, varieties, etc but am unsure of the best place to start.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3069 Posts
 Posted 09/16/2019  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Comprehensive Silver Dollar Encyclopedia author John Highfill .
Expensive but worth every nickel .
Pillar of the Community
United States
9019 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  07:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Morgan dollar Red Book by Q. David Bowers is a good starting point as well.
Member SSDC, TNA
Valued Member
Canada
378 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  07:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the recommendations so far. I see a book on Ebay called Morgan Dollar- America's Love Affair With A Legendary Coin. Is this worth getting?
Valued Member
United States
136 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add James Hicks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends. How much does it cost. Check out Mbarrcoins.com. I think they have Morgan dollar books. They have peace, and they are well priced.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4222 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good grief!
Is the Comprehensive Catalog and Encyclopedia of Morgan and Peace Dollars by Leroy C. Van Allen & A. George Mallis no longer the top reference (or at least on of the tops)!?
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3069 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  10:35 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of the VAM stuff is on line as well .
Alluding to an earlier comment in this thread , if you wish to become a SERIOUS Numismatist
no amount spent on proper reference material is too expensive!
A hundred dollar numismatic book , yields priceless amounts of information.
A hundred dollar coin purchased without knowledge yields endless grief!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
522 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is THE book for Morgan and Peace dollars.

Comprehensive Catalog and Encyclopedia of Morgan and Peace dollars by Leroy C. Van Allen & A. George Mallis
Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Still In Circ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bowers book is great. It's well detailed and worth the money. Mega red on Dollars coming out in a couple of years maybe good.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18551 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Go to the Whitman Publishing web site and look up that book. However best to then go to Amazon to buy it.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
7050 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love John Highfill's book myself, also Wyane Miller's book (just for the amazing collection photos of some really high end coins and monster toners).

I made a list of all the Morgan dollar books I have in my collection, it's a long, list, with a lot of very specialized books beyond the average or new collector, but a good list to start with just so you know whats out there; http://goccf.com/t/152565

I wrote that list up about 6 years ago so there are some books not in it that have come out since. John Highfill has a new edition of his encyclopedia now, which I haven't got (yet).
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05