Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Identifying And Selling My Dads Tokens And Medals

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  4:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add oldstuffman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
When going through my fathers stuff I found hundreds, maybe even thousands of things I think are exonumia, tokens, medals and ?. I am not a collector but there is so much I would like to learn and probably relocate a lot of the items. Here are 10 examples.

If you are interested or can help I could do 100 more tomorrow probably.

Learn More...
United States
77253 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17378 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It is best to present one item at a time in your post. We have experts in most fields and they can help much more specifically with one item.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2714 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF

We would like to help you, but you need to help us too.

Since you have hundreds of pieces we need to help you do some work yourself.

You also need to crop your pictures, show both sides, and post them right side up so we can read them better.

I see a number of "good for" tokens as well as medals.

The first is a 500 Peso coin from Mexico.

Many tokens can be identified via a good website called tokencatalog.com.

This however, does not give valuations. There is no general purpose catalogue for all tokens and medals. the token and medal market is quite different from coins. ebay is your best bet here.

You can get valuations of world coins from NGC.com

Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fplagge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oriole is correct on all counts, especially regarding the cropping and proper orientation of all photographs you post.

Welcome aboard.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2714 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  06:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Further to my previous post, I was a bit rushed and I should have said a bit more.

With that many items, since you said you wanted to learn about them, here is my general advice:
1. You need to learn to determine whether it is a coin or not. A coin in almost all cases has the name of the country, the denomination and the year of issue. Once you have that, you can go to standard catalogues (Krause in paper, http://www.numista.com online) to find the catalogue number and other details. http://www.NGC.com has got a section with world coin valuations (prices in the Krause catalogue). To be quite frank, most coins that circulated after 1960 are not worth more than a few dollars, unless they are silver or gold. Well worn common ones are probably not worth more than 10 cents each. If the language is giving you difficulty do a search of the inscription. If it is a non-Latin alphabet, we can help. Using these resources you should be able to identify 95% of your coins, and you can ask us about the rest. You also need to be able to assess the grade of a coin (just minted to just about worn out).
2. "good for" tokens are just what they imply. Thousands of businesses used to issue these. If you have the business name and location then that is pretty much all that can be said about it. None of these were ever issued in large quantities, usually 1000s at most, since a lot were only intended for a small local business. There is an active market for the older ones (you can tell by the style), but it tends to be local and small, as are the catalogues. So their rarity does not mean huge value since the collector demand is low compared to coins. An older one in decent shape is worth at least a few dollars. If you do have a business name, the value is much lower. Modern or generic tokens, like for an arcade, are often quite common and have a small value.
3. A lot of all the other things you might have would be medals. The variety is huge and there are no general purpose catalogues. Like good-for tokens, they may be issued in small numbers and have a very specialized collector demand. Some medals were mass-produced for the public to celebrate an important event. Some military medals are quite valuable and if they are named might be of historical interest.
4. If all this is a bit overwhelming, take the lot to a local coin shop and see what they have to say (but don't sell them). The better ones would be glad to give a quick look and give you some advice.

Good luck with your numismatic adventures.
Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GABatGH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"When going through my fathers stuff..."

You and I are in a similar boat my friend. However, I'm going through an antique collection that spanned over fifty years from someone that was considered an advanced collector and that kept no records. He intended to become a full on antique dealer in his later years but passed before that came to fruition so I'm helping the family with the vast and varied things that had been collected and stored. From three for a dollar pins to six figure value items, they're all mixed together haphazardly and we've (my wife and I) already spent six years learning, sorting, organizing and selling for the family.

You need to decide what to DO with it all. Are you keeping any of it for sentimental reasons? Are you keeping the monetarily valuable stuff? Is everything just getting sold? You can bring it or send it to an auction house. You will get less that it's all worth but there is no work involved. Recall that I said that my wife and I are at six years since we started, and know that we have not made a dent yet. By selling things yourself it is a huge amount of effort but you will, or at least should, get the most profit from the sold items.

If you are selling item, you have to come up with some sort of system. If the things are just randomly in boxes or sheets, just pick out twenty items and try to identify them by simply googling what it says on them. Then make a pile of things you CAN find online and things you CANNOT find online. This way you won't waste time on the things you can't find, at least not yet. If they are sorted, it is imperative that you keep them in the order that they're in at least for now. You still need to go through things one by one but you can use colored pencils or markers to labels things. For instance, blue for found, red for not found. We cut up small squares of paper and put them into the folding flips or tape them to the cardboard flips. Make a database on your computer. Whatever works for you.

If you find an item with a price on it, ignore it. You have no idea how old that is or who wrote it. It's useless. I just picked up a pin that was priced at one dollar and we're putting in the antique mall for twenty five dollars.

Also, You MUST have better pictures. Crop. Focus. If you are on android, I cannot recommend Google Photos enough as an image editor. It's fantastically capable, and you don't need to download an app.

Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  11:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GABatGH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, and just to mention it just in case you didn't know, a coin is something that is made to use as money, and a token is something that looks like a coin that is NOT money.

Further, we were at the US Mint in Philadelphia recently (amazing place!) and they has a thing on the wall that explained it differently. A coin usually needs to be flipped over top to bottom to see the other side whereas a token or a medal would need to be flipped left to right because it is often hung like a pendant!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
10560 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2019  12:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05