Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Physics Of Toned Morgans And The Eye Candy Too...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
135 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  8:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add muddyknuckles to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
First off a link to an article I have read and reference whenever I come across a "toned" coin. Its specifically for Morgan dollars and is the literal physics of when where why and how true toning occurs I use it across the board for silver coinage.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...QJTdTFnD7_ZT

Second is a link to simply skip to the eye candy. This guy from the article Doug kurz has put together and is updating what has been described as the"This is the first and only (that I know about) complete set of Rainbow Toned Morgan dollars."

http://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/all...?s=7520&ac=1

Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ccobb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW! Beautiful coins! Thanks for the links!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1701 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  10:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for both the links...bookmarked that article by J.E.Cash....thanks again..
Valued Member
United States
434 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks for this. bookmarked both links.

stunning coins. wow.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1587 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  01:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What an unbelievable set of Morgans! My only complaint is that the 1893-S in MS65 is not quite as colorful as the others...
Thanks for posting, I had no idea this collection existed.
Edited by Zurie
09/20/2019 01:31 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17351 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  01:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very informative article and fantastic Morgan's. That is an impossibility tough set made possible.
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  01:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddyknuckles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I figured it would serve others as useful as it has me alot of the actual physics behind true toned coins is broken down here as well as the true toning progression. I'll admit some of the morgans in his collection aren't exactly appealing but there are some truly Incredible coins mixed in and like most of us he is always updating his collection. Knowledge is power and studying what you love is the best way to avoid Artifically Toned coins...or worse. In an era of super fakes and chemical dips to sell colors only a fool rushes in.
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  01:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddyknuckles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only remembered the website because I pulled a state or ATV quarter outta circulation that was not in horrible condition but had started to exhibit hints of light gold on one edge of both sides figured it for a 22to see what happens with it referenced the site above about it and thought about my fellow forum members.
Valued Member
United States
491 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. I am impressed to say the least. If one had told me that two Morgans existed with near identical rainbow toning I'd call them on it. That 1896 and 1897 had to have came from the same collection. Spectacular!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7790 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, what an amazing set!

I'm sure it cost a fortune to put together.
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/328488
ANA: 3183215
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1190 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  11:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hadleydog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doug (Sunnywood) was one of the good guys in our hobby. His willingness to share his knowledge was second to none, and his enthusiasm was absolutely contagious.
The "Somewhere over the rainbow" set will probably never be duplicated in as high a grade and eye appeal, the tough dates just don't exist (like the 93-s in 65). Heck, his duplicates were unreal.
He also had a set put together with Simpson, you will occasionally still run across them in PCGS slabs labeled Sunnywood-Simpson. Amazing.
Sadly, upon completion, the set was dispersed through auction. I took a run at the 84-o dollar about a year ago in a Legend Regency auction, but ended up the underbidder at well over my maximum (I believe the coin was only an MS-64).
Amazing collection and person.
Edited by hadleydog
09/20/2019 11:22 pm
Valued Member
Canada
378 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely gorgeous set! The chemistry stuff is interesting but I will need to read through that a couple more times to try to understand it better. Thank you for both of those links.

I'm just getting started with Morgan collecting. I definitely love the rainbows but trying to only look at coins graded by a reputable TPG. I don't want the toned coins done in a lab, even though there are some beauties. It seems like the toning occurs more often on the obverse rather than the reverse for some reason.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1190 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hadleydog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
seems like the toning occurs more often on the obverse rather than the reverse for some reason.

I had the privilege about 15 years ago of witnessing 3 sealed mint bags opened at my local coin shop (2 81-s bags and one 85-o bag). It was pretty much a 50/50 split.
I believe that the anomaly that we see today is partly a function of how many reverse toners were dipped back in the day, as the obverse pieces were and are still the more desirable ones and carry the corresponding premiums.
Edited by hadleydog
09/22/2019 03:43 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05