Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Postage Costs From The Us

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2341 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  12:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does anyone know why the postage costs from the US vary so much for a single small coin? The cheapest I see is $2 and the most expensive (commonly seen) is about $18.

Sometimes I like to spend an hour bottom feeding on eBay - just to see if I can pickup some cheap silver - but it can be difficult to wade through all the US sellers charging the high postage amounts so by default I just look at the EU sellers.

There doesn't seem to be a way to filter out those charging more than say $4 for postage. The filter is only for either free postage (like that's going to happen) or by physical location.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41498 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  12:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think a US Global stamp for up to one ounce to the UK is something like $1.15. Then there's the packing material and insurance, which would vary.
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hoxsie454 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, indeed. A seller conceivably could 'give' an unsuspecting buyer a coin for face value, but then charge an exorbitant fee he wants for postage and handling. We must read the fine print!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17850 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most sellers that send overseas like to make sure it gets to the customer so want to send it Registered mail which would probably be the $18 figure. Anyone sending a coin to UK from USA and only charging $2 will most likely just stick it in a business size envelope and send regular mail.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17530 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Be thankful they offer overseas mailings. While I've never had a single problem with a UK buyer I quit selling overseas altogether. So many claiming they didn't receive. Any South American country was a shot in the dark as to their likelihood of receiving the order.

I never had a single order EVER make it to Haiti. I eventually went with registered, but tracking stops at our borders, apparently.

In short, it was just to much of a hassle.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2341 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh I know the economics of it... but nobody's going to buy a 5 coin and then spend $18 on postage.

I'm really just wondering if there is a way to filter on eBay to block those who charge that much but let through the lower cost postage options. There probably isn't though.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12472 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Oh I know the economics of it... but nobody's going to buy a 5 coin and then spend $18 on postage.

Probably not, but the reality is that coins in the 5 pound price range just aren't suitable for international sales. Sticking it an envelope with just a stamp is not only a risk at customs as there is no tracking, but all the buyer has to do is say they never got it and eBay will side with the buyer 100% of the time since there is no tracking.

The sellers charging 18 or 35ish for registered or priority aren't doing it to rip anyone off, they're just doing it to not only give it a better chance of getting there but also to protect themselves by using a method that is tracked internationally.

The one way it can be worth it is to just buy a bunch of stuff at one time, otherwise it's really just not viable buying things that cheaply from the USA.

As a side note also remember because of the international postage agreements the USA has one of if not the highest charges for shipping internationally.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2726 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On eBay, a majority of sellers ship from the US via the "global shipping program", of which the actual postage is a small fraction of the price. This is really a shipping service. Many don't want to be bothered with the perceived trouble or the perceived problems.

I have had 100 parcels or more shipped from the US(to canada) via ordinary US mail with only one damaged parcel. From the US, few small parcels are intercepted by customs.

So it is not very risky from a buyer's perspective, or a seller's if the customer is honest. One seller who mailed by regular mail claimed told me he had very few problems in 1000s of parcels.

So while I think it is generally safe most have bought into the idea that are better off with the Global Shipping Program. It would not hurt to ask the seller if they would reconsider.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2341 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  02:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Probably not, but the reality is that coins in the 5 pound price range just aren't suitable for international sales"

I absolutely agree - it's just unfortunate that ebay doesn't seem to allow you to filter those "gold standard" postage costs out. For example I normally just peruse Ebay uk - but a lot of international sellers lots (really sellers in the US) appear in the list, presumably because they have set their auctions to appear in all affiliated ebay sites at their end. That's fair enough but there really should be a way to not see them at my end. It's very tiresome to wade through them all so I normally just ask ebay to only show EU sellers - though I probably do miss quite a few US sellers taking the cheaper postage option.

I will contact ebay about it (if there isn't some way to search that way)and no doubt it will be fixed shortly....
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12472 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is, you can search by free shipping or lowest total cost. You can also select EU sellers only or whatever in the USA we can select US only so it eliminates all international sellers.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05