Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Having A Tough Time Identifying These Three! Any Ideas?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
85 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2019  11:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tolch123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Having a tough time identifying these two! Any ideas?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
539 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  02:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The last one is a coronation medal for the city of northampton. Maybe it was presented by the mayor to Scotland yard. Maybe that is someones name.

The Middle is a piece of something, the top should probably read Duke of Edinburgh, I can't decide if I think it is a shop sign, A token for shopping discount for duke of edinburgh award winners or something else.

Haven't the foggiest what the first one is.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10085 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  02:48 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weights, dimensions and guesses at material would help the search.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
539 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  02:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The medal is probably silver
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2340 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  03:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The top one reminds me of one of those bracteate pfennigs from an early German city state - but they are normally in silver (if in low grade)
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5584 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  03:06 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've located a similar medallion on the internet:
https://www.whitmorectm.com/product...gilt-brass-1
These gilt medallions were issued by the corporations or town councils of numerous British towns and cities on the occasion of a coronation, and distributed to local schoolchildren or perhaps to employees of the Corporation.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
539 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  03:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've located a similar medallion on the internet:

Nice
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
539 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  03:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The top one reminds me of one of those bracteate pfennigs from an early German city state - but they are normally in silver (if in low grade)

That's an interesting idea, the hand is similar to Heller coins, and that could be a Stylized P F, though I am inclined to think its a BF. All the ones I could find though are squares made into circles, not the other way round.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13063 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The second picture of the first piece is upside down. I wonder if it isn't a coin weight.

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
539 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The second picture of the first piece is upside down

I believe the other side is too. Though now that you've turned that one I can clearly see it is a mounted knight with a sword not some many legged monstrosity.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05