Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cant Make Any Mistakes Here....could Use A Little Input

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  9:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add righteouslearnin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Ok...so I came across a 58 Wheat Lincoln and a 59 and 69 LMC all in great shape....the bad news is the dirt collected around the lettering of course....and if I'mright about what looks to be under the dirt....it coule change the entire outlook of the coin....ive been using extra virgin olive oil to lift the dirt off the surface of my coins lately....these coins are a different story though...I need to get ghe grime off....but dont dare to damage the coin. The olive oil ok? Any input?
Valued Member
United States
213 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Giwalsh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you thinking the 1958 is a DDO?show us some pics even with the grime
Pillar of the Community
United States
1724 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2019  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF....100% Acetone,that can be found at hardware stores, is ok for copper coins. Bad Thad wrote up a good thread on this..search in "search" box "Acetone Bad Thad" you will see a listing titled "Help me Bad Thad" click on it,then scroll down to Jbucks post and click on link he posted. You'll see Bad Thads write up on this..It's worked great for me...good luck
Pillar of the Community
United States
732 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my issue. If the coin has been stained by the grime around the letters, even removing the grime will still show a two toned contrast and ideally you want all surfaces to be the same after cleaning it up.

Pictures may help in determining what the outcome might be, but I'm afraid you'll wind up with it appearing to have been cleaned no matter how you handle it. You won't really know until you see what's under the grime. Best case where the grime was sat protected and will appear cleaner, worst case it was mildly corrosive and where it was afterrible you remove it will be pitted a bit.

It's really a case by case basis. Sometimes it's best to leave it alone than do anything.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2719 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  06:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't use olive oil. It is mildly acidic and may leave your coin smelling like a salad.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15892 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  07:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Olive oil best used for ancient bronze coins, not modern coins. Olive oil is slightly acidic, and helps protect the patina on an ancient bronze coin, as well as helping to loosen hard, caked on dirt.

Olive oil will darken modern bronze coins with mint luster.
Perhaps VerdiCare is better.

If below MS condition clean with soap and water then acetone.
If in MS+ condition, soak in acetone only, don't rub, and let dry. If dark patchy stains remain, too bad, they will have to stay there.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18556 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2019  08:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Olive Oil No. Use only Acetone and distilled water
just carl
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05