Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Errors Or Just Damage?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2019  7:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BisMe to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found this in the drawer at work. My first impression was that it had had a hard life, because of the wavy appearance and the "clipped" bit. But I decided to grab it, just in case. I didn't even notice the thing on Roosevelt's head until later. So just a lot of damage, or are there actual mint errors?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40277 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2019  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks bent. If so then it may have been clipped off with tin snips. But a closer view of the area would be real helpful. If it is a legit error, the devices should fade next to the affected area:

But a close view would be necessary. It would also help to see if the Blakesley affect is visible. But if the coin is bent, then it might be PSD. (Post-Strike-Damage)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13517 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2019  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@bisme, first welcome to CCF. Second, yikes those pics are really too small to see very much. It could be a straight clip, but with the damage to Roosevelt's head, I'm thinking that it is just purposeful damage. However, if you can post enlarged pics, it would help. Thx.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
672 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2019  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Panther to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My guess, because of damage to forehead and bent. Coin was held in a device and clipped with tin snips.

Dan
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2019  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BisMe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I took a shot at better pictures.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40277 Posts
 Posted 10/20/2019  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks cut. Note the devices near that area are full. On a clip, the devices fade near that affected area.
Also on most clips, on one side or both they will show the Blakesley effect on the opposite side of the coin. Note the half dollar above.

Fake ones don't have that:

Why? Because the clipped blank, running through the setup step to turn it into a planchet, causes the area 180 degrees opposite the clip to not have the setup proto rim. Note your coin and this fake one doesn't have the effect.
Also fake plated zinc cents won't be plated when a cut is made on the coin:
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2019  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BisMe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see what you're saying. There are three questions I still have about the cut part of this coin.

1. What likely caused that clump of melted metal sort of folded over on the one side (on the right of bottom picture)?

2. Why does it have the same reeding as the rest of the coin?

3. Why is the copper core on the opposite side on the cut bit (on the bottom of the rest of the coin in the last picture, but the top of the cut bit)?
Valued Member
United States
270 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2019  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nieuw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

Unfortunately, this is not a genuine clipped planchet. The rims are cut marks
Edited by Nieuw
10/23/2019 07:10 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
40277 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2019  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What someone would think of as a Blakesley affect is just where they held the coin with pliers to cut the coin. If the coin were real the Blakesley affect would be 180 degrees from the center of the affected area. closer to where the 'FG' area. Also the devices would show weakness near the clipped area. It is a fake. The un-plated edge is the first thing to look at for a fake. If the Blank/planchet would have been real, then the straight clipped area would be plated.
Richard S. Cooper

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05