Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Comparison Of Whitman, Littleton And Dansco Albums

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 8,818Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
4595 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2019  10:34 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Unlike a few of the posters on here, I'm not limited to an individual album for coin storage. I generally select an album based on the type of collection that I want to do, so in each case I may pick up a different album and I have done that. Several posters have asked about the difference and since I have the 3 majors (Whitman, Littleton and Dansco) I figured I would share my thoughts. First off I will say that each album works really well. They provide a safe place for your coins and that each company makes enough varieties that you can be selective in matching an album to your collection type, for example do you collect proofs in addition to the circulated coins...

The first picture shows the albums next to each other. The first thing you notice is that the Dansco is the largest, but thats actually deceiving, since actually the Dansco makes the most efficient use of space. Unlike the Whitman and the Littleton, the Dansco is not a binder style. It can be made tailored to the space needed. Littleton and Whitman, seem to make a few binder sizes and add the pages as needed to the folders.

The Littleton is probably the least efficient in space. There is a lot of volume not needed especially for the IHC/Small Cents album. The Whitman is smaller in size than a Dansco but it will generally be fatter. As far as quality covers, all are very nice with a slight edge going to the Whitman and Dansco.

The first album we'll look at is the Whitman, and there are several thing I like about it. The blue pages are very nice and highlight the coins. The tabs to pull out the plastic windows are very nice and the quality of the pages is also very high. Overall a very nice album. I would rate it a A- on a scale of A to F. I know some people really like the Whitmans and from using it I can understand why.

From the Whitman we go to the Littleton and there are special features of the Littleton that I really appreciate. All the windows are in an envelope and covered my tissue paper. Each album comes with very nice gloves. The edges of the pages have tabs. They are available in stock ;) and they make several that the other don't make (or I was unable to find), for example I wanted a proof album for the American Innovation Dollars and only Littleton had it, they also don't include the 1856 Flying Eagle, I'm not paying several $$$$ for a coin and didn't want a blank space, so another reason to get the littleton. While the pages are very nice, the color is kind of boring (well to me) and since they are binders the pages get stuck while moving. Overall I would give Littleton a B+ only for the reason that the pages stick while changing.

Last we go to the Dansco, which many people feel are superior and having 3 of them I agree for several reasons. The first being all albums are the same height which makes it easier to lay them in a book shelve. The Dansco's are also very well made and not in a binder style, therefore they make very efficient use of space. The brown actually heights copper coins, not so much on Silver (IMO, the Blue of the Whitman looks better for silver). The only faults I have with Dansco is that many albums aren't available and they have failed to produce updates for others. But if an Dansco is available (?) and in the series you want, you can't go wrong. Dansco get an A in my book.

So my informal rating system has the albums as:
1st Dansco
2nd Whitman
3rd Littleton

But if you are like me, you select an album to your collection, so you pick based on what you need and there is nothing wrong with that. All of the albums work really well.
Edited by hfjacinto
09/30/2019 12:13 pm
Learn More...
United States
108367 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2019  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
1st Dansco

Quote:
and since they are folders the pages get stuck while moving.
I would not say they are folders (which is a whole different storage method), but the pages are in a three ring binder and that can be annoying.

Overall, a nice review.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4595 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2019  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
JBuck, I agree with you assessment, I have updated my review :)
Learn More...
United States
108367 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4595 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2019  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My daughter calls the 3 ring binders, Folder. Thats why I was calling them folders ;)
Learn More...
United States
108367 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2019  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I understand that completed. I still can hangars "hooks" because of my son.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4595 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2019  7:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dang kids and their new language. They have me spilling the tea all the time ;)
Valued Member
United States
134 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2019  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coins1989 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had the same issue with Littleton pages, they don't turn easily. I found that to not be an issue if I turned the pages using the flat of my hand. I am moving most of my stuff from Dansco into Littletons. I'm reading the writing on the wall for Dansco.
Learn More...
United States
108367 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2019  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think Dansco will be back to normal after the move the Washington is all settled.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4595 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2019  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think Dansco will be back to normal after the move the Washington is all settled.

I hope so, they have a great product, like I said above.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20560 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2019  07:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have well over 100 Albums of all types.
In this review I noticed many things left out. For example Dansco not having a good way to get the slides out. Actually a person must press on a place where a coin could be to make the slide move. Whereas with Whitman, slots on the edge allow a place to grab the slides. One of my most irritating things about Dansco is the many just empty slots at the end of most Albums. One of my Dansco Albums has one page at the end with almost the entire page is full of just blank slots. They saved money on having all pages the same. And don't forget, Whitman is really now Harris and made in China. Not a good way to help our economy buying from China. Many people complain about loosing coins in the Albums due to poor gluing of the pages in a Whitman.
just carl
Edited by just carl
10/02/2019 07:47 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4595 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2019  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In this review I noticed many things left out. For example Dansco not having a good way to get the slides out. Actually a person must press on a place where a coin could be to make the slide move. Whereas with Whitman, slots on the edge allow a place to grab the slides. One of my most irritating things about

I actually stated that the whitman and littleton do have a slot. And I do agree with you on this.

Quote:
Dansco is the many just empty slots at the end of most Albums. One of my Dansco Albums has one page at the end with almost the entire page is full of just blank slots. They saved money on having all pages the same.

I did state that one should look for albums with what they need. I used the empty slots on the LMC album to put in LSC so I actually enjoyed those empty slots ;)

Quote:
And don't forget, Whitman is really now Harris and made in China. Not a good way to help our economy buying from China.

Littleton is also made in America.

Quote:
Many people complain about loosing coins in the Albums due to poor gluing of the pages in a Whitman.

We are talking about "albums" not folders. I have lots of whitman folders and never lost a coin.
Valued Member
United States
134 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2019  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coins1989 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Subway in Altoona PA is doing a clearance on Dansco, most albums at 5o% off:

https://www.subwaystamp.com/latestflyer.pdf

Pillar of the Community
United States
4595 Posts
 Posted 10/03/2019  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Subway is one of the few places that has Dansco in stock. They are sold out almost everywhere else.
Edited by hfjacinto
10/03/2019 9:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4562 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2019  08:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice comparison.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5423 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2019  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like you didn't take a look at Intercept Shield albums.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 8,818Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: