Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 Dime Die Bottle Cap Error

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 768Next Topic  

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2019  12:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Robbie bones to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***

Hi to all the coin community out there, and thank you for taking time to read my post. I have 1964 D Roosevelt dime. I would love any ideas and help as to figure out if this dime. Seems some of my search Leeds to me believe that this is a die cap (bottle cap) error coin was wondering if anyone came across a 1964 dime that looks like the one I am posting any thoughts.Thanks to all. Robbie

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10578 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2019  01:37 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Unfortunately, that's not an error coin. It looks like what is usually called a dryer coin (click on that for more info). It could also be the victim of intentional damage in the form of "spooning" in which the coin is repeatedly hit along its edge against, say, a concrete floor and causes that flattening/spreading effect. Actually, I think spooning seems more likely given that it looks to have discernible "sides" and is not round.
In Memory Of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020
"Riders in the Sky"
Edited by spruett001
10/02/2019 01:42 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34247 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2019  04:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
16367 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2019  05:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes @spruette nailed it.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
26893 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2019  07:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF! As long as it's 90 percent Silver, then it will still be worth melt value at least. Still a keeper, since it's 90 percent Silver and is worth Silver melt value.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48842 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2019  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good question.

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2019  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and I agree. But I can understand why you would ask.
Learn More...
United States
87665 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45123 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2019  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I agree a dryer coin. It was tossed in the commercial dryer and went for a tumble.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2019  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Robbie bones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow how interesting. Thanks to all who replied much obliged. also be posting some other coins I would like the community's help in
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 768Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05