Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Interesting Numismatic Stories

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2768 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2019  2:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
We all have them. Let's hear yours.

Here' mine: I was commissioned a USAF officer in 1975 and served 25 years. My second duty location was the island of Okinawa from 1978-1981. Every year the base would host a carnival for the military and local population. My squadron had a custom-built dunk booth, a first-class set-up. It was very popular with the locals as the Okinawans of all ages lined up to pay 25 cents for three balls. We had signs up that only U.S. currency was accepted. Over 50% of the quarters I collected from the locals were dated 1943-1945. I exchanged these for cash from my pocket and would end up with at least four rolls each year. I unloaded them in 1982 when silver was sky-high and made a handsome profit.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29892 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2019  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool story,thanks for starting the thread. This is going to be interesting
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17898 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2019  6:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful story. Ill stop back.for more.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7853 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2019  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At the coin shop that I work at, we had a couple come in with a large box of coins. At first it was a bunch of the usual junk, lots of junk silver, Barbers, Wheat cents, etc. But at the bottom the had a container FILLED with gold! After we counted them out, they ended up having over 100 double eagles and dozens of $10s and $5s. It took us the whole morning to appraise the collection, and they ended up selling us most of the collection. They kept the gold, and we helped them divide it up for their estate. They also bought a safe from us to store the gold in .
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/328488
ANA: 3183215
Pillar of the Community
United States
1901 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2019  12:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18637 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2019  12:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only interesting story I have is at a coin show I noticed a box of Indian Head Nickels. I tried to ask the dealer how much for some of them. He was just blabbing with someone and appeared to think of me as a bother. He sort of blurted out 5 for a dollar. I started to look through some and spotted a 3 leg Buffalo, a couple of 13's, etc. I asked where he got them and he really was getting irritated with my interruptions. He said he bought he entire box from someone so now either buy something or shut up. I picked up about 25 of them including the 3 legged one, several 13Sl's, and a 21S and all for $5. I tried one more time to tell him what he had but he just wouldn't listen.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
3710 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2019  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some friends of my grandparents were farmers and had recently purchased the farmstead next to theirs and were demolishing the old barns and house which were in poor condition. After they had pulled up part of the foundation of one of the barns they noticed currency blowing in the wind and they went over to the foundation and saw a couple of old tins filled with notes had that been buried were now tore open and were dispersing their contents to the wind. In the end they found a dozen or so large tins, several packed with antique notes and the rest filled with silver coin. A lot of the coins were Barber designs as well as Morgan silver dollars. This was in the late 1970's and they ended up selling the coins and being able to pay off the mortgage on their new farm and buy additional farms for each of their children with the proceeds of the big coin stash. This is a secondhand story told to me, so I hope I got all the details correct. My father was given a handful of the Barber coins and he still has them.
Edited by Joe2007
10/05/2019 3:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3311 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I once bought an 1851O Three Cent Silver in an NGC slab labeled as 1851 (no O). About a $10 difference in value, so that's not the story.

The story is that the dealer and I were talking about the idiot across the aisle who had an ordinary MS62 1963 Franklin labeled as 1962 that he wanted $500 for the "major TPG error".

To this day I've never told my friend the dealer (our wives know each other too).
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2573 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2019  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only personal story I have goes back to when I was a kid, probably 9 or 10 years old, and already a few years into collecting. I noticed the girl next to me in the cafeteria line at school had a Standing Liberty quarter in high grade, ready to hand it over to the cashier. I told her I'd give her 50 cents for it.
It turned out to be a 1917 type I in AU.

I no longer have it. About 35 years later I used it in a trade with a dealer to get a couple of coins toward a birthyear set for my dad's birth year, 1923.
Edited by tdziemia
10/06/2019 12:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2768 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  09:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another that I've told here before, but it's been many years and it's buried in the archives .

When I was 7 or 8 (late 50's) my dad had us hooked on coin collecting. He told us if we saw something interesting in circulation "save it and show it to him". I was over at my friend Billy's house and noticed an Indian Head cent on his night stand. "Hey Billy, I'll give you a quarter for that Indian cent". "Deal!" Took it home and showed it to Dad that night and he knew something was wrong. Where did you get this he asked. I told him I bought it from Billy for a quarter. Dad called Billy's dad and asked where Billy acquired the coin. A child's name was offered as the source and Dad recognized the last name immediately. He called the boy's father and asked "Hey ?, do you have an 1877 Indian cent in your collection. Why yes I do, why do you ask? Dad related the story to him and returned the 1877 the next day. The poor kid probably got a whoopin' and I was out a quarter!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2573 Posts
 Posted 10/07/2019  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Took it home and showed it to Dad that night

I don't remember if I showed my find to my dad or not, but he likely would not have recognized that it must have come out of a collection, not being a collector himself (SLQs were still in circulation when this happened, but it must have been the last few years).
I was young enough that it never dawned on me.
Valued Member
United States
226 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2019  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gary to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In march of 1984 I was in a coin shop that was owned by a distant relative of mine. The shop was the only one around close and I usually went in there once a week to look over his new arrivals. Being married with young kids, I didn't have much money for coins. I was looking through some Morgans he had got in and spied a 93-s. I showed it to him and ask if he would hold it for me until I saved up his asking price. He handed it to me and said take it and pay me when I could. It was in fine condition with a light initial W scratched on liberty's cheek. He charged me $400.00 for it. I still have it and consider it a treasure. I have many fond memories of that coin shop.

Edited by Gary
10/08/2019 6:08 pm
Learn More...
United States
78214 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2768 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2019  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let's keep this going folks.

As a young lad in 1961, I attended the county fair. One of the big events that year was a scholarship for a young lady sponsored by Eagles, Elks, Lions, etc. She was to win her weight in silver dollars. They had one of those oversized balance scales and placed her on the swing seat. The master of ceremonies lifted up a mint-sealed canvas bag of silver dollars and placed it on the opposite platform. It did not lift the young lady off the ground. He placed a second and she popped off the ground. He removed one bag and proceeded to cut it open and pour the contents onto the platform. He continued to pour until about 3/4 of the contents lifted her gently off the ground. I seem to remember she weighed 105 pounds, so she ended up with approximately $1780 in uncirculated Morgan or Peace dollars (I didn't get a close look at them to determine which).

The sad part is she undoubtedly took them straight to the bank and deposited them. Imagine if she had kept them until today.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05